x Mosquito larvae
Anacharis/silk plants
x Fry containers (for jarring)
Snail
Jar heating tub
Ich/Velvet meds
2 extra heaters
Frozen Bloodworms (conditioning & later fry food) Golden Pearls

Do you think I'm prepared? P.S. I was going to have the breeding process as a science project. What do you think? What type of snail should I use in the breeding & growout tanks?

Breeding in 5 gallon, Growout in 20 gallon. Feeding: yolk sac,1-2 days, Infusoria, Egg yolk & First Bites For first 1-2 weeks. ML & Golden Pearls For the next few weeks. Then GP, Frozen Bloodworms, & Crushed pellets & Flakes.

See less See more
#7 ·
If this is your first spawn I do recommend a larger tank (10 gallons). You will need live food like BBS. Those foods listed are not good for growing fry. And some Atison Betta Pro when get to be the size of eating pellets (trust me it's like steroids for fry).

#8 ·
Thank you all! I hope to get some BBS, VE or MW. Does anyone have a sample culture for a cheap price? I was going to use a 5 gallon because I want to use a smaller tank. Yes Curly, I forgot about buckets. I said Anacharis, and sorry, I will use pellets for later on thx. MRV, I'll get my hands on some Attisons. I've heard of people using egg yolk and First Bites with spawns, I thought it worked.... huh. Thank You all so much!!!

#10 ·
Again I recommend a larger tank due to your lack of experience in spawning. A lot can go wrong in a smaller tank that a new breeder would be completely unaware of. It most likely will be fine but I stand by my recommendation.

#11 ·
I don't mean to be stubborn, but I'd like to see how it goes with the 5, and if something goes wrong, I have the 20 in a pinch. Thanks again!

#13 ·
Well to answer the question, I usually use three or more pond snails, but this time I'm using two or three mystery snails. They are bigger.

#14 ·
I think my petco has Mystery snails, would these be safe for the fry? I would QT them of course. Wait, 2 or 3? Wouldn't they breed?

#15 ·
i would suggest a 10 gallon for breeding, 5 gallon is pretty small for two betta's :| but it really depends on the pair, but good luck :) also try some HBH baby bites am feeding that to my fry from my spawn "Sparta" it's better than hikari (i have both :p i suggest HBH) also my i see the pair your gonna spawn? :)

#16 ·
Pet store food is actually bad for adult bettas so I don't even know what the fry food is like. The best pellet foods are Atison Betta Pro and Atison Betta Starter (fry food).

Aquabid has auctions that include several cultures for around $20 and some include BBS eggs.

#18 ·
I got mine from the IBC website but I have not seen them in stores. They are cheap at around $6 total for both not including shipping. I'm sure they can be found on Aquabid for cheap.

#23 ·
How big do the fry have to be to eat the above foods? Uncooked shrimp? Wow, that would be handy. How bid do they have to be for that?

#28 ·
Go to different sections and add any kind of information that can be useful to anyone. Even if it isn't much it still helps out. It's better than posting just some random posts all over.

#30 ·
That is actually what we try to limit on this forum ( too many irrelevant posts )

I'm sure you know enough to help people. Maybe in the breeding section, just add a few blurbs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.