Betta Fish Forum banner

Taco has SBD. Maybe. Please help?

3K views 69 replies 9 participants last post by  ifish 
#1 ·
Taco has Swim Bladder Disorder, or so I think. He has been floating listlessly at the top of his tank, tail down and mouth up to the surface, for a whole day. He's completely vertical. He only moves if I prod him, and only then, will he struggle to move away. He has not eaten at all.

I've done frequent water changes and treated him for any possible cases of illness. I've ruled out ich and fungus at this point (which is what I thought the cause of the sudden inactivity was attested to).

I also suspect it may be ammonia poisoning, but I've done nothing to how I've changed the water before. Tian-Tian is doing fine (though battling his own case of ich again. Freakin' fish.).

Help, please? :-( I've done all I can think of.

#56 ·
Update:

Well, I've been out for most of the day and I came home to discover Taco making an attempt to blow a ring of bubbles lining his tank. He's still hanging vertical and very swollen. I am absolutely baffled.

Any thoughts on this??
That happened to my last female who had dropsy. Have you tried antibiotics like Ampicillin?

#59 ·
Oh no,dropsy. My poor Morado lived with that from the beginning. He held on a long time. For some reason some of them do hang on for quite awhile. Just keep him comfy is all I can offer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.