Betta Fish Forum banner

Ducky says hi. (first betta, new member and a total noob)

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  jtfyeung 
#1 ·
k. so i got this today. and he is in a tank (22 by 32 by 20 cm) i duno how much gallons that is. i just filled it up almost all the way haha. i am planning to get a heater for it since in canada...the winter here is gona b a totall killer for my new fishy. so yes. i am to feed him once each day, 2-3 pellets of betta food. and to change his water...every..2 weeks....or so i was told by the pet store. but yes. he shall be called ducky, and i will wait for him to make bubble nests!

by the way...can any1 tell me around how many gallons i've got?? and if this tank and environment is suitable enough?

(fake turtles incase ur wondering)

#2 ·
sounds like a 2 gallon tank,
Water change every two weeks is not enough,
You will most likely end up with a sick fish if you adhere to that regiment.
You Should be doing a 25 to 50% water change a minimal of twice a week,

#4 ·
He might like a plant or something to hide behind/play in so he doesn't feel so exposed. :)

You can get a real plant, or a soft fake one, a cave type decoration, or just use something like a candle votive or an old ceramic statue. That's not totally necessary, though.

You can also probably fill it up higher. Haha. It's a huge pet peeve of mine when my aquarium's water level isn't right up to the top. I don't know why... Hhaa.

#6 ·
I like the turtles too

#7 ·
haha thx guys!! but i just went to walmart and bought a sh!t load of stuff 2day for Ducky.

-Tetra brand submersible Heater
- tetra brand whisper internal filter 1-3Gallon
- 2 fake grass
- a new anchor hiding place =D i bet he likes it
- blue-ish gravel.
(FILLED IT UP HIGHER TOO)
- but took out 2 turtles cus no space =='

new aquarium look. plz comment so i can improve =D it looks ok to me, what do u guys think??

#9 ·
can't, its at the tip of the filter x]
and i once owned small orangy fishes...and some of them jumped out of the tank..so i am traumatized by it. dont want to fill it up 2 much for it to suicide on me T^T

#14 ·
Are they really jumpers Drama? Crap, now I'm gonna have to upset my hubby and go to wal mart to get that 10gal started tank. GRRRRR I don't have a lid for min.

I like your set up jtfyeung, if Red would jump out I think that would really upset my 4yr old. She tells me that she loves Red lol. I just picked up 3 bags of gems from wal mart. different colors. He had to be right there as I was droppin the gems in. He's very curious :D

#16 ·
he's cute! he looks so little. maybe he'll grow yet!
i 2nd the plant motion. it looks a lot better with the grasses (my guys LOVE those grass plants). I'd also throw in one with some silk leaves. They like to nap on them. You can also get a plain terra cotta pot for them to hide in. They're about 50 cents at the craft store. Soak it in tank water over night (out of the tank) and then add later. Voila! Betta cave. However, if nothing else, i'd say some short silk plants in front and maybe a tall one in back. mine like to touch them and lean on them like little butterflies. i love it. they're about $5, and sometimes you can find them in packs.

#18 ·
thx guys. but i really hav no idea where i can find a cheap glass tank that can hold at least 5 gallons...i mean...i am onli looking for a 50$-ish tank..dont wnat it over 100$...taht's just too much.

i found out Ducky is a very naughty fishy. he's like me. naughty and tricky haha. i thought i'd let him sleep since fishies dont hav eyelids, so at 1am i closed my room's lights to let him sleep while i'm still on the computer. right when i was gona go sleep at 2am, i used my cellphone lights to check on him, andi see him swimming around =.=

but it was cute how this morning when i fed him his pellets, he spit it bak out after gulping it down. and while the food was floating bak up, he ate it back half way. i dont know if he was playing with his food, or he's just reswallowing it to digest it better haha but it was so cute cus he was bobbing his head when he eats xD

#26 ·
i am thinking of getting a 10gal tank for 45 or 49$. transfer my fish to another bowl or so just for some time, den transfter the water to the new tank, transfer fish bak into 10gal. get some sunlight into it, grow some algae, after a week or so, den buy a bottom feeder =D cuts me the slack of cleanign the gravel....any suggestions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.