Betta Fish Forum banner

Current in Tank? Need a new filter?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Angelmonster 
#1 ·
I'm something of a newbie to aquariums (and the forum), so forgive me if the answer to my question seems pathetically obvious.

I have a twenty gallon aqua-terrarium (so it's about 3/4 full, with a "log" sticking out of the water) with two female betta, two small algae eaters, and snails (blasted Petsmart plants). The filter is one of the kind that hangs from the inner wall of the tank and shoots out filtered water near the surface. It makes a noticeable current in the tank.

There isn't any real current to speak of inside the "log".

I've been seeing in certain threads on the forums that betta don't like currents; I know that they're essentially ditch fish. Sure enough, mine tend to hang out inside the log or between the filter and the aquarium wall. They will occasionally appear to "play" in the current (swimming into the output of the filter, being pushed into the current, and then swimming out of the current and back around again), but I don't know enough about betta psychology to really interpret the behavior.

Should I be worried about the current stressing my betta? Should I downgrade to a less powerful filter? I don't think one of those filters that sits on top of the tank, sucks water up, and then waterfalls it back down would work well with the aqua-terrarium setup. I've tried an undergravel filter in the past and grew to despise it. Any other suggestions?

See less See more
#3 ·
NO! Don't change the filter if they are swimming in the current! Betta's either love the current or hate it! I have a male Betta in a 10 Gallon Tank and he loves it! He spends the better part of the day just swimming against it then going back to the end of the current a swimming against it again. If they swim in it then it means they are having fun :)

#4 ·
i just got a female today,my males love their currents and their bubbles,and it seem this young(shes very small still) lady loves it too(",) i doubt you need to worry if they having fun.

#5 ·
Two females? I heard when only two females are placed together they fight like males.

I have one who rides the current for hours. It depends on the personality of the betta.

#6 ·
The more females you have in a tank the better. Two might get territorial but some times it can work. Personally I would never get less then four but it depend son the size of the tank.

#7 ·
Thanks so much for the replies, everybody. I'm really relieved.

The more females you have in a tank the better. Two might get territorial but some times it can work. Personally I would never get less then four but it depend son the size of the tank.
I haven't had any problems with either becoming aggressive, but...does this mean I have an excuse to get more? ;)

#11 ·
Not at all. I have a 10 gallon with a single male. The current runs along the back of the tank so he blows his nests at the front. If you play with the nest at all(ie hit it by accident) it might be destroyed but the Betta will just remake it haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.