Betta Fish Forum banner

Filter recommendations

920 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  mursey 
#1 ·
Read a couple of threads and I am considering 2 different filters for my 2.5 gal tank. One thread mentioned the Azoo Palm Filter and said it worked well. Another one I am considering is the Fluval Nano Internal Aquarium Filter. Anyone have experience with either? Stupid question - will I need an air pump for either?

My tank has a divider, will this interfere with either filter?

Any other suggested filters would be appreciated. Thanks! :-D

#2 ·
I don't know about either of those, but I do know about this one:
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752355

It comes with an air pump which is what it runs off of, it's pretty quiet and not too windy. The filter cartridges are about $3 for a pack of two at WalMart. I'm currently using 4 of them in tanks from 2.5 gallons to 4 gallons and change the cartridge monthly.
I love it because it's small, not too windy and my long finned Bettas cannot get their fins caught/torn on them and the cartridges are super cheap. I used these to replace the filters in my BettaBow 2.5 since the filter in there was horrible at tearing up finnage and the pads were like $8 for a 3 pack which I also had to change all the time because they grew mold on them super quick.

#3 · (Edited)
The Azoo filter is a HOB. It Hangs Off the Back of your tank and, from the looks of it, will probably interfere with your hood.

The Fluval is a good internal filter which fits entirely inside of the tank. This helps keep it quiet.
The spraybar helps keep the current down.

If your divider has enough holes for water to flow through, one filter will do fine. Both are power filters (they have their own impeller fan) so don't need an air-pump.

You might want to research "sponge filters" which DO need an air-pump, but are ideal for Betta because they cause very little current.

Even with a filter you'll still need to change your water every second or third day if you want to continue keeping two Betta in a small (2.5gal) tank.

I don't see a heater or thermometer in the pic of your tank. Perhaps you have added these since that picture was taken.

I know you didn't ask but another tank and heater might be a better investment than a filter right now. You really don't need a filter in such a small tank. Also, it is usually not recommended to house a male and female in the same tank.

@ TheCheese: Why are you changing your cartridges so often?

I'm sorry to say the Tetra 3i is the least effective sponge filter being sold. If you take out the cartridge and watch it work, you'll see that the water hardly flows over the cartridge at all...just the top part. I can be modified to work effectively.

#4 ·
I only just now looked at the tank you have kc0vbl, and if i'm not mistaken it's the one from WalMart that's called something like a Betta Wave tank. The Palm Filter will more then likely disturb your hood and possibly cause strain on the actual tank, possibly causing problems with it staying upright since it's a light plastic tank.

I have some live plants in my tanks and the little pads can get clogged very easily by any plant matter as they have little grates in the back and aren't padded on both sides. I do rinse them out from time to time but it's difficult to pull little pieces out. They can last longer and I have made them do so but it's easier to change them every month or month and a half then sit with tweezers picking pieces out.

#5 ·
Tetra Whisper 3i is one of the worst filters, I've ever used.

I just got a hold of the TW 3i filter this week with the Tetra Wonders 1.5G Kit.

Now I have 2 TetraW 1.5G tanks, (1 has Silver trim & 1 has Black trim). I like these little tanks because of it's small size, shape & built in mini LED light. I disassembled, cleaned put the tank together last night & finally got a chance to play with the key components of this kit. I must admit this TW 3i filter looks pretty horrible.

Hally is right about the filter's design....... it's NOT good. I jammed well seeded media inside the unit, but then realized the water doesn't even flow over the bottom half of the filter. I don't know how to go about fixing this. I will probably sandwich another layer of seeded media over the part where the water comes out aka the output.

I ONLY bought this TW 1.5G tank because it HAD everything except the lid, it also came with a ton of really NICE deep scratches embedded in the acrylic but thankfully the back of the tank isn't gouged up like the others.

• I would recommend the Azoo/Red Sea Nano Filter even though it may interfere with the lid closing.
Azoo/RedSea is a HOB, but once this filter is establish, it works GREAT.

• Fluval one looks cute, it's similar to the Duetto DJ50 but the Fluval has a very nice spray bar output.
However I don't like the Duetto DJ50. The impeller is ridiculously thin & I don't like dunking my hands into the tank water to mess with this filter.

#6 ·
MSG,

I understand your reasoning for recommending the Azoo filter. If the OP doesn't mind modifying the cover, it would be a good choice. There seems to be plenty of extra room for media in there.

I modified my Tetra 3i to make it more effective by:

---Drill a 1/8 inch (or larger) hole through the back of the case, all the way though the riser tube portion into the cartridge chamber.

---Seal up the hole in the back of the case with AQ sealant.

---Seal up the top of the riser tube (where the water comes out) with AQ sealant.

Now the water will flow from the bottom of the filter chamber instead of the top.

The 3i does have a relatively quiet air-pump. Although rather weak, it's fine for two Betta-size sponge filters.

#7 ·
The Fluval isn't as good as the Tom internal filter. Same design as well. Also I heard that the Fluval is loud. The Azoo Palm Filter is a good fikter but is only recommended for 3.5 gallons, so I would get the Tom as it filters 6 gallons and includes a spray bar as well.

#8 ·
Thanks for the input. I have not yet added a thermometer and heater, ordering these from Dr. Fosters and Smith when I decide which filter to use.

I seem to be getting confused with the amount of information I am trying to obsorb. I thought I read that filters at not necessarily needed, but recommended. Was going with the flow on that one. I also thought I read that keeping males/females together was not good unless they were going to mate but keeping them separated with a divider was ok. I can invest in another tank and supplies, not a problem. Overall, is the tank too small for 2 fish? If I got another tank I would love to put 2 males with the divider in 1, and 2 females with the divider in the other. Just a thought.

I am a breeder of skinny pigs and give them the best I can. I would also like to do that for the fish so again, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Diana

#9 ·
I am a good modifier of things to work the way I want so that is not a problem. So far I think the Palm filter is getting the most 'votes' although it might be to heavy for the tank and cause the hood not to sit properly. The hood is mounted, there is a hole to put the food in at the front, and there is a opening at the back of the hood I assume is for things like the cord for a heater and maybe a filter. It is hard to imagine how these things will work without having them in hand.

The tank is the Betta Wave something or other from WalMart. I picked it because it was simple, had the LED lighting, and the separator and I could add what I wanted to it instead of getting the cheap stuff that usually comes with a kit. Everything else seemed too small (just bowels really) or the kits with all the junk.

#11 ·
I would NOT recommend that slim Hydor heater. You should try to order an 25w-50w ADJUSTABLE heater online, you should be able to get one for about $12 maybe less.

It's just nice to be able to raise/lower the temperature a few degrees if sickness occurs.

I was playing with the hydor heater yesterday & it took about 4-6 hours for the temperature to go from 74 to 82. I just came home and now it's 88-90 degrees. There's nothing I can do to lower the temperature other than unplugging the stupid thing. This is one reason I never bothered using it.

If you're going to buy a couple filters, go with the Tom version of the Fluval. It's looks like it's made a little better even though it's the same design. I like the color contrast of the media.

Funny KFry mentioned the Tom because I thought it looked similar to the Fluval.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Internal-Filter-45gph-adjustable/dp/B00176GKM8/ref=cm_cr_dp_asin_lnk

#13 ·
I was using a 25W for a 10gallon.

If the heater has a built in thermostat, it will shut off once it reaches the set temperature. Check it to make sure it's accurate.

Sometimes the heaters are slightly miscalibrated, but that's usually only true with the cheaper models that don't go through QC procedures. It also depends on where you place the heater. I tend to place my heater where the water shoots out of the filter so the heat is evenly distributed throughout the tank

I always recommend higher in case you decide to upgrade your tank in the future.

Before bettas I never USED small tanks under 10G to keep fish.

#14 ·
My 2.5 has an Azoo Mignon filter. It does interfere with the glass and hood but I prop the glass up on an angle and everything is ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.