Betta Fish Forum banner

Feeding bettas...

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  finnfinnfriend 
#1 ·
My betta is in a 10 gallon tank community tank with a penguin biowheel filter. How much and often should he eat? I've been giving 3 pellets in morning and night. Is this too much? He always seems ravenous.

Also, I asked my LFS how much and often they feed the bettas. She said 3 pellets a week. What??! Is that normal because they are in the small cups? Their bettas don't look starved... That info just surprised me and I was afraid I was over feeding.

Thanks!

#2 ·
My betta is in a 10 gallon tank community tank with a penguin biowheel filter. How much and often should he eat? I've been giving 3 pellets in morning and night. Is this too much? He always seems ravenous.

Also, I asked my LFS how much and often they feed the bettas. She said 3 pellets a week. What??! Is that normal because they are in the small cups? Their bettas don't look starved... That info just surprised me and I was afraid I was over feeding.

Thanks!
For starters, NEVER listen to any care advice pet store employees give you. Oh the joys of pet store employee advice :roll:

That pet store is wildly underfeeding their bettas.
What brand of pellets are you feeding? the amount depends on their size.

Feed twice a day.. If your betta looks bloated at all, then you should feed less. Do not feed at all for one day out of the week- bettas are known to easily get their digestive system backed up, this day of fasting allows their system to get a break. :)

#3 ·
It depends on the size of the pellets. I have some large pellets and some really tiny ones. Three large pellets would be waaay too much for some of my bettas. A good rule of thumb is that a betta's stomach is about as large as his eye.

Teeny is right about the pet stores. They are often not the best place for advice. Smart of you to double check that advice on the forum!

#6 ·
I second demotion!

LFS employees don't know how to take care of their fish. Try talking to the manager because he/she know's what's right.
Aha not always. Some managers are just as bad..

#10 ·
It's very confusing ,no mater who you ask every one has a different opinion ,if you read some of the directions on the food containers ,they say to make it an all you can eat buffet for five minutes.I am using betta bio gold and they are much smaller than other pellets i have seen, i give mine 3 to 4 twice a day .

#11 ·
Very true. If teeney ate as much as she could eat in just ONE minute she would probably get SBD. It takes her literally 5 seconds to eat 3 pellets. :shock:

#12 ·
This is also a topic that largely relates to your fish, and when you start out with any new pet the best thing to do is watch them as they eat, get to know their behaviors for different things, and eating is one of them. And sometimes both books and people are wrong for your pet. A good example is my turtle, I have had books and people tell me I need to be feeding her every other day, every few days, even every day. But I tried all of these, and she is most happy when I feed her between 1-3 times a week. Which may seem harsh to some, but if I feed her more often she never eats it and I end up with a really dirty tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.