Betta Fish Forum banner

if it's not one thing, it's another

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kelly528 
#1 ·
I just got a new betta about a week ago. He's in a one gallon fish bowl. We had our water quality tested and the aquarium store said it was within good levels. We finally figured out why he wasn't very active (we put a light over his bowl and he loves that). However, once he began being more active we noticed that he had a fuzzy white spot hanging from his ventral fin. We started treatment for the past three days with a medication called "Betta revive" which is for the prevention and control of Betta fungal, bacteria, and parasitic diseases in addition to adding some aquarium salts to the water. Now the white fuzzy spot is gone, but I noticed today that he has some small white spots on his head and fins -- I'm pretty sure it's Ich. I thought that the "Betta revive" would have treated that since it was so broad spectrum. I've read that I should do a full water change and treat with something such as methylene blue (which the Betta revive has in it), but the last time I did a full water change the fish died shortly after. I have no idea what to do. I thought that Bettas were so hardy, but this little guy just keeps getting stuff. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Any help would be great. Thanks!

#2 · (Edited)
Well seeing as he's in a 1 gallon tank, you're going to have to do 100% water changes a couple of times a week. I had mine in a 1 gallon for about a week and did 2 100%s and 2 50%s. They are hardy, and should tolerate the water changes very well if you handle him with care.

You should get something made just for Ich from the pet store. I'm loyal to Maracide, and know a few people who swear by Coppersafe, but it's all up to you.

Clean his WHOLE tank, decorations, rocks, everything, with very hot water. No CLEANERS! Set up the new water (remember the conditioner!) and let him float in it a while, then, when he's back in, add the medication per the instructions. It should only take a couple of days to work.

As a side note.. You really should look into getting a larger tank for him. Rule of thumb is 1 inch of fish = 1 gallon of water. Bettas do a lot better in a 2.5 gallon tank, or larger, and you won't have to clean it as much! But with the little 1 gallon you have him in now.. you better get over the fear of changing water.

#3 ·
Thanks for your advice. We got a medication with malachite green and formalin in it that one of my friends has successfully used for his betta. We'll see how that works. I'm not necessarily afraid of changing water, but the 100% water changes didn't work out so well with me in the past...it's good to know that these guys can handle that. It makes sense to change it because of the lifecycle of this parasite. *Crossing fingers* we'll see how it goes! Thanks!

#4 ·
Good luck! I'm sure everything will be fine. Ich isn't as scary as it sounds. kind of like a kid getting chicken poxs.

#5 ·
If 100% water changes are becoming a drag for you and your fish, I recommend upgrading to a 5 gallon tank. In larger volumes of water, waste becomes more dilute and therefore less harmful. Plus you can cycle a 5g so that 100% water changes will no longer be necessary and you will only have to do a 25% water change weekly instead.

Just another note, what fish stores claim to be 'safe levels' are usually absolutely manic. Remember, these are from the people who brought you betta bowls, vacation feeders and common plecos!!! Always ask for the numerical stats so you can decide for yourself what the qualtiy of the water is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.