Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-24-2014, 11:18 AM   #41 
kjg1029

1 gallon is fine for a while as a temporary home, but id say 2.5-3 gals is perfect. The smallest tank I have bettas in is a ten gallon split into three so "3.3" gallons each
kjg1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #42 
bluenail

I'd rather see a betta in a well maintained 1.5 with plants or other hiding places than a 10 gallon bare tank though.
bluenail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 PM   #43 
InsaneBetta001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betaphototramp View Post
very good choice. Nova will love it. and you can cycle the tank with fish in with no problem. if you need a heater (because these kits don't come with one.) a 25 watt adjustable will be the best for this size tank. I recommend a 25 watt adjustable because can set the temp to 78degrees and know it will stay there. I use a Marineland visi-therm deluxe 25 watt and have had no problems with the settings going off scale. Most adjustable heaters will give you a +1 or -1 degree difference.
Make sure you do water changes and test your water each day for the next 3-4 weeks water changes will be reduced each week until the tank cycles and bacteria builds up but the water will still need to be changed in this process. recommend 25% daily and 50% once a week for the first 3 weeks and than 30-35% each week after that. your ammonia readings will spike in a few days and that is normal just remember betta alone in this sze tank will give a low bio load. your readings you will notice will spike at different times (normal) When the tank is completely cycled your readings will show 0 ppm ammonia, 0 ppm Nitrite, and 2-5 ppm nitrate. at this time all three of your filter processes will have taken place and working your bio filter giving off good bacteria for the 2-5 ppm nitrate reading and all other readings being 0 ppm will tell you the tank has cycled, and is healthy Your PH should be between 6.8-7.6 . PH for betta is important but not overly so. Betta will get use to the PH and do just fine. (difference in PH being a must for other fish and plants is because betta are air breathers.)
It's a great looking tank and I know you will enjoy the happiness your Nova gets from a great home.
]

Thanks for the information! For now I don't use a heater as the thermometer reads 76-77 degrees most of time and Nova seems to not have a problem like this. But after summer I will have to pick one up.
InsaneBetta001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #44 
Reccka

Quote:
Originally Posted by slimestone View Post
Reccka - oh no, I don't personally think 2.5G is too small, but it really irks me when people say "oh, I just haven't got enough room" or "I don't have enough money" to justify the way they keep their animals. It should be no surprise that with animals come certain costs, and space will always be a factor (although I'm a bit of a hypocrite in this regard as I don't have enough money to buy everything my fish needs this very instance, but I also did not buy him, he was given - dumped - on me :/).

I mean, at least try to improve conditions, if you know/feel they should be improved. Like some people have said on this thread, there are creative ways to increase space in your house/apartment.

Again, I'm not criticising anyone's tank size on this thread, I'm just tired of hearing the space excuse x_x
Sorry for the misunderstaning! I find the "I don't have enough money" excuse more annoying lol. Well, at least when it comes to the essential items a pet needs that they know about ahead of time.

The space thing can be a little more understandable since there are a lot of different factors in it. I say it's bad if someone is keeping the betta in a cup because "no space lolz" but we both agree a 2.5 gallon is fine and most people can find somewhere to put one of those.
Reccka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #45 
zilphy

I purchased a 2.7 gallon Fluval tank. It is wonderful. However, in my ignorance I did not change the water often enough and my fish very quickly developed fin rot. I now keep in mind the Old Fish Lady's instructions on water changes.

Things can go badly very quickly in a small tank. However, a 2.5 gallon tank can be a fine betta home as long as the proper care is provided... that includes the required water changes & water chemistry, a heater, thermometer and filter.

My betta surfs the glass. I believe he would like more room to swim. I will be purchasing a 15 gallon tank and using the 2.7 gallon as a moss ball home and quarantine/hospital tank when needed. 15 gallons is a personal choice for me. Long term it is small enough for me to manage and large enough to use for larger fishes or schools of fish once my betta passes on (in about 5 years Also, I can always divide the tank if my betta doesn't like the extra space.

I saw 5 gallon tanks, 6, 8 & 10 gallon tanks that would have suited my betta just fine. Bigger tanks = more options and easier water quality maintenance.
zilphy is offline   Reply With Quote