Betta Fish Forum banner

Whats Wrong With Him?

2K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  KasaraWolf 
#1 ·
There is this magnificent Crowntail at my local pet store, he's a strange metallic blue with some red on his fins and a cream stripe down the middle of his face. I almost bought him, but instead, I bought my white Crowntail, Gabriel. But, being me, I did frequent checks on him to see if he had gotten bought.

Well, 2 weeks later, he was still there sadly :/ I kept putting him in a place with the other Betta's so he would get recognized with this other beautiful Crowntail, but the workers keep putting him back on the shelf in the front of the store where people don't really notice them behind the newer shipments.

I went there Wednesday and he was fine, kinda sad and not his hyperactive self like he was 2 weeks back. Went today and he was covered in black spots.

I do not have any pictures, because my camera is currently battery drained.

What do you think is wrong with him? I feel absolutely horrible for him and was possibly thinking of going and getting him.

#2 ·
...he's a strange metallic blue with some red on his fins and a cream stripe down the middle of his face.
That stripe shows that it was stress. (Does it have long or short fins? If it's short, then it's a 'she'.)

Went today and he was covered in black spots.
That, well I don't know. But you should buy it IF it's not sick.

#4 ·
That stripe shows that it was stress. (Does it have long or short fins? If it's short, then it's a 'she'.)

That, well I don't know. But you should buy it IF it's not sick.

It's definitely not a stress stripe, I know one when I see one XDD That's just his color pattern on his face. And its also definitely a male XD

I tend to always buy the ailing fish there XD Either that or notify the staff that he needs this and this and they do just that XDD

#3 ·
Are the spots on his body or just the fins? Sounds like dead tissue- possibly caused by a bacteria, although I can't really say more without a picture.

I'd probably take him...but I'm a sucker for suffering animals.

#5 ·
It's all over his body, it looks horrible D: It just looks like suddenly he wanted to be a dalmatian. I will see if he is still there today and either try to buy him, or take a picture.

#6 ·
Never heard of that.. I say get him, bring him home, fix him up and show him off. If you can't keep him, at least you can find him a good home here.

#8 ·
It's pretty rare in freshwater fish, but it sounds like Black Spot to me... It comes from snails, and I had an outbreak of it in a fancy goldfish tank once before :p.

It's actually pretty easy to treat... just aq salt and time. Apparently time itself works too! I'd say get him, nobody else will in that condition

#10 ·
I am with ya on this.. I experienced the same dilemma, and I saw a few that I want so badly to save.. very depressed I could not sadly..not today anyway.. but I am gonna try next week, I hope I am not too late, In our local Petco, I saw beautiful Ct's and V/T's and Kings,..waht a choice to save the King's especially cuz they cannot barely move.. very sad..:(

#11 ·
Alright, so I bought him XDDD

Sorry for the crappy pictures, my camera I usually use, I lost the charger for :lol:

So here he is~ Black spots on his body and fins and the ends of his fins, shredded. His color is not as bright as it used to be, but hopefully, he well get better and show off his fancy fins like how I saw him on day one ^_^

#13 ·
I have yet to decide that XDDD I am currently either thinking Bruce, Achilles or Sato :lol: I usually try to base names on how they act, but since he is not doing much, its kind of hard lol.

#15 ·
Haha, I might end up naming him Bruce xDD For some reason, I always wanted a Betta named Bruce :lol:

#16 ·
Is he a crown tail or a really tattered vale tail? Even with the nasty black spots I can tell he's a pretty fish. Hope he makes it! Are you keeping him, then? :) Bruce is nice. The first name that came to mind was Rocket... like those frozen pop-cicles with all the colors, heh.

#18 ·
He's a Crowntail ^_^ He had such magnificent fins when he was better, now they are all tiny xDD I hope so too! I will most likely keep him, but I will have to see XD

Oooo Rocket! :D

#17 ·
Hope he gets better for you! If he is blue yellow and red, he's like a sunrise/sunset. :D He does look pretty miserable poor thing. It will be interesting to see before and after pictures of him once he gets better!

#19 ·
I hope so too!

Now that you mention it, it kinda does! :lol: Almost looks like a sunrise on a blue ocean...:D I will definitely keep you guys updated on his condition! If he does pull through, I will take more pictures of him ^_^

#20 ·
There is a drink called a Tequila Sunrise... and it's just beautiful. Never mind drinking it, I would much rather look at it. Only problem is.. it has no blue. :(

#21 ·
Haha yes, too bad it doesn't have blue in it, then he would definitely resemble it lolz xDD

#25 ·
He is actually doing much better today! :D He actually ate some blood worms and is moving around a lot more in his quarantine tank :D He is even starting to flare at his neighbors ^_^ The only thing I am doing right now is putting AQ Salt into his water and it seems to be working :)

He's GORGEOUS! I hope he makes a speedy and full recovery. I like the name Bruce!
Thank you! I hope so too! :-D!!

I found a site with diseases with symptoms and such. With all the detailed descriptions of symptoms maybe you can find what is wrong with your fish below.

You might want to look at Fish TB here although the symptoms don't match. It looks like we can catch it ourselves. Better to know about it for the future fish that might be rescued.
http://www.fishyportal.com/cgi-bin/pub/diag?c=l

I found this too, see black spot description:

http://www.versaquatics.com/freshwaterdiseasecharts.htm
AWESOME! Thank you for the links Twilight Storm! I shall look into them ^_^

#24 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.