Betta Fish Forum banner

How often should Bettas poo?

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  zaylia 
#1 ·
I don't think mine has until just now, it is Monday, 11:45 am. Brought him home on Saturday around 9 pm

good or bad sign?

#2 ·
I had this question a while back too, and the norm is usually within hours, kinda like us..lol..but if it's days, then as long as your seeing a lot (about 3 cinamon bun-looking brown drops) I would say it's normal, my fishy's pretty much do one or 2 every other day..some fish do more, and some may within hours, I would just watch for signs of constipation, bloating, and lethargy..but if he's active, and colorful, and eating normally, he is fine, and in a new home, they will have to adjust to new food, and schedules, if your feeding him 2-3x a day..you should see poo at least 2x a day..

#3 ·
Yikes I guess he was constipated. It was all one piece of poo, a "log" of fish poo.

I thought I would feed him a 2-3 flakes when i wake up, wehn i go to bed, and one little flake after i clean his bowl.

But he got a bit more a night and morning before i found an answer to how often to feed..

He is quite active, seldom rests. He goes to the top quite a bit. Mostly swims around the bowl around his toy or whatever and in place to look at things

#9 ·
lol My cat never hid her poo. Maybe he is doing that though. I just looked over at him and saw him poo, I don't see anything else. But I can't see that one poo anymore either. Maybe he eats it?

He is very active. I put a hornwort plant in yesterday But for some reason didnt think about most of it being brown and gross, it didn't even float. I took it out, but its muggy in there now. I just cleaned his bowl yesterday, and he got here a day and a half before that.

Should I clean it out today again do you think? Or wait?

#12 ·
:lol: :rofl: :lol:: rofl:

Some of the posts here are hysterical :lol:

I found some poop in Sparkle's FlowerBall cave one time.

Since we are the subject of "poop" ... I noticed one of Sparkle's today that seemed to be a little bit lighter 'brown' than usual. No changes in food. Wondering if reason for concern.

Sorry, but I have to make a funny here ... Maybe the ..."cinamon bun-looking brown drops" (excellent description) were not baked enough?? :lol:

#16 ·
:lol: :rofl: :lol:: rofl:

Some of the posts here are hysterical :lol:

I found some poop in Sparkle's FlowerBall cave one time.

Since we are the subject of "poop" ... I noticed one of Sparkle's today that seemed to be a little bit lighter 'brown' than usual. No changes in food. Wondering if reason for concern.

Sorry, but I have to make a funny here ... Maybe the ..."cinamon bun-looking brown drops" (excellent description) were not baked enough?? :lol:
I noticed some of Sammy's mixed, if you will.. with the lt brown/dark brn color..I think he was in a rush..and it's the way it came out..but he is eating 2 diff types of food now, but it looks like a ball, not like a (Cinnamon bun) type, more like a rock..(the constipation ball) think he needs something for that..Yes, Misty..in the cave..that is where it usually is..:lol:..Half Baked!!! ahaha:lol: :rofl:Misty, that green silk plant..that Sparkle has, like the blue one that is in one of the pix..you noticed, does Sparkle use that as a (Drop off spot)??? Sammy used to..:lol:

#14 ·
lololol too funny you all !!!! I had Perseus over 2 months before I saw him poop and then it scared me cause I didnt know what it looked like and I see this string of orange hanging from his and I kinda freaked lololol Than I thought is that poop and why is it orange then I remember his NLS is a brown orangish color . Now and then I do see him poop and at least dont freak out anymore cause I know what it is :oops::lol:

#15 ·
lololol too funny you all !!!! I had Perseus over 2 months before I saw him poop and then it scared me cause I didnt know what it looked like and I see this string of orange hanging from his and I kinda freaked lololol Than I thought is that poop and why is it orange then I remember his NLS is a brown orangish color . Now and then I do see him poop and at least dont freak out anymore cause I know what it is :oops::lol:

Omg, yes, when they are swimming and it is falling, but yet still attached..too funny:lol:..I remember when Sammy used to use his plant a silk one, as a drop off spot..and it was like a filter to catch all the poo..it was a riot..then I didnt see poo, and I lifted out his fave hiding spot..(cave) and there it was..:rofl:..he tried to keep it hidden,..and keep me worried..:shock: You know they are keeping us on our toes..lol:lol:

#17 ·
lelei Yes they do try to keep us worried I am certain of that !!!! Sammy is so funny hiding his in the cave, oh my goodness lol ! I havent found any spots Perseus poops in but I would not be surprised if I did. But there was this one time he had a bubble is his mouth, I look over and there is something shiny in his mouth and of course I freaked, I even have a picture of it, I just could not understand how he kept a bubble in his mouth as long as he did. Then just last week there was a bubble on his head I didnt freak this time cause I knew what is was and it finally went away and watched him and he went under where some bubbles were and popped his head up and another bubble stuck to his head...lol

These little fish are amazing the things they do only people like us would understand I think anyone else would call us crazy...:lol::lol::lol::lol::shock:

#18 ·
lelei Yes they do try to keep us worried I am certain of that !!!! Sammy is so funny hiding his in the cave, oh my goodness lol ! I havent found any spots Perseus poops in but I would not be surprised if I did. But there was this one time he had a bubble is his mouth, I look over and there is something shiny in his mouth and of course I freaked, I even have a picture of it, I just could not understand how he kept a bubble in his mouth as long as he did. Then just last week there was a bubble on his head I didnt freak this time cause I knew what is was and it finally went away and watched him and he went under where some bubbles were and popped his head up and another bubble stuck to his head...lol

These little fish are amazing the things they do only people like us would understand I think anyone else would call us crazy...:lol::lol::lol::lol::shock:
Omg yes they they are..that is too funny..I know those lil bubbles attach to their bodies..and the plants..and that must of been soo cute;-)..in his mouth..lol..I just love sharing these stories..and your right, no one would eva understand the way we do..Love these fishy's !!;-)

#19 ·
Here is the picture of him with the bubble in his mouth I cant believe I was lucky enough to get a picture of it. What really worried me at the time I thought maybe it was a pond snail he had tried to eat and the shell was stuck in his mouth, thank goodness it was only a bubble !

Attachments

#24 ·
Me too Misty...lol ! I guess really it would depend on when and how much you feed them at a time. So I am going to guess two times a day, I feed Perseus in the morning and at night, so twice a day sounds about right I would think.

#26 ·
I've never witnessed Jonah pooping, but he does because I suck it all up. Now, Dumbledore on the other hand....Likes to play with his. And by play, I mean put in his mouth 4-5 times before spitting it out. EW.

I guess it all depends on the fish, like people. Lol

#28 ·
Now, Dumbledore on the other hand....Likes to play with his. And by play, I mean put in his mouth 4-5 times before spitting it out. EW.
Are you serious??? EEEEWWWW :lol:

Dumbledore is a real silly betta..... :lol: :lol:

We sure heard alot of super silly betta poop stories on this thread. BUT...we love our fishies no matter what they do. :lol: :-D

@Zaylia ... Thanks A Betta Bunch for starting this informative and hysterical thread. Love it. Glad your question was answered. You surely got more than you bargained for. :-D

#29 ·
lol yeah, little bit more. But got some laughs too :) I am grateful I started the thread and that you are glad I did too!

I got a Betta to help the heartbreak of when he will die, but they have more personality than I ever imagined, and reading these stories shows more depth to them even. Just making me love my Betta more :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.