Betta Fish Forum banner

what is wrong?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  iamntbatman 
#1 ·
:? my betta doesn't open his fins anymore completely and likes to lie at the bottom of the tank next to one of the artificial plants. What is wrong?

#2 ·
sorry to hear what your going through :(

what size is his tank?
what is the temperature? do you have a heater and filter?
what is your water changing schedual? do you use water conditoner for your tap water?
what are the water parameters?
does he look bloated around his gut at all? are his scales sticking up?

sorry for the questions but we need more info to help you.

#3 ·
You need to answer Meatpuppets questions before we can really help you more.

But IMO it sounds like it could be ammonia poisoning. Clamped fins and resting on the bottom, is only coming up to breath?

You should do a small water change, like 25-50% depending on the size of your tank.

#4 ·
reply to what is wrong

I have a 1.7 gal tank with no heater but I do have a carbon filter. I use spring water (crystal geyser) for the water so I don't treat it. I use the same water for a female betta who is doing just fine, although she had the same fin problem once to but I though it was just due to a delay in changing the water. I was changing the water every 2-3 weeks but have switched to every 4 weeks now with the filter. I am pretty sure he is not bloated and his scales are definitely not sticking up. He mostly is just laying on the bottom and then coming up to breathe, although he has moments where he is swimming around and does look interested in me or what I am doing. Oh, he is in the kitchen near a window and also has his own light.

Thanks for trying to help. I look forward to any replies. I really like this guy and just want him to be well.

#5 ·
do you know the temperature and do you have a heater? Bettas are tropical fish and need 78 degrees constanly or else they will become lethargic and prone to illnesses
do you know the water parameters? (tested wit a liquid test kit)

it does sound like ammonia posioning. with a 1.7 gallon you should be doing more water change than evrey 4 weeks. Probly about 25% every three days.

There's a chance it could be swim bladder disorder. What do you feed him?

and if he has his own light do you turn it off at night? just like humans, fish need the natural day/night cycle.

#6 ·
Do you have a test kit so that you can give us the tank's pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels? Having a good liquid test kit is a great idea for every fishkeeper.

Even with a filter, doing a water change once a month on a tank that small is not going to be enough. Even without knowing your exact water parameters, I would suggest doing a 50% water change every week, starting a.s.a.p. The improved water conditions will likely be a great help to your fish.

#7 ·
I do not have a heater. So I am not sure how warm or cold the water is. If he needs a heater I will get one. Also I don't have a test kit so I will get one of those too. I will be able to do this in 2 days. Also, I feed him freeze dried blood worms.

It is remarkable how different the information I was given at the Pet store. They stated that bettas don't need a heater or filter, water only needs to be changed every 2 weeks.

Also, is it ok to just use spring water. That shouldn't have ammonia in it, or does it?

#9 ·
well good for getting a heater. for a 1.7 gallon you should get just a 10 watt micro heater.
and good for getting the test kit.

and yes you do need to get him proper betta food (pellets or flakes, your choice) bloodorms (especially Freeze dried) are ment for a treat. so feeding him freezdired bloodworms all the time is like humans eating nothing but donuts. They dont have all the nutrients bettas need and make the chances of him getting swim bladder disorder or constipation higher

hope this helps

#10 ·
Bottled spring water shouldn't have any ammonia in it, but it's always safest just to test it and be sure.

As far as what the fish store told you, it's all about sales. People believe bettas are easy to care for pets (which they are) but they take this an extra step by thinking they can totally skimp out on proper care. Pet stores sell so many bettas because people think all they need is a bowl, some water, a fish and some food and they're set.

Water changes are almost completely dependent on how fast your nitrates build up. An understocked aquarium needs them much less often, since there is much less waste being produced per volume of water, whereas heavily stocked tanks need them much more often. Note that this only applies to a properly cycled tank; a tank that has yet to be cycled with fish in it needs water changes much more often in order to keep ammonia and nitrite levels in check.

I would move your betta away from the window and just use the light you have to simulate a day/night schedule for him. Keeping a fish tank near a window promotes algae growth and can cause huge temperature fluctuations, especially in a tank that small.

It's hard for me to recommend a heater, since a tank that small can get easily overheated by even the smallest of heaters. I would definitely get a good thermometer (either the floating glass type or a stick-on liquid crystal type) to see what the temperature of your water is.

The most common causes for the lethargy you're seeing are poor water quality, too low of a temperature and illness, so if you address the first two issues (through testing/water changes and temperature control) you're likely to solve the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.