Betta Fish Forum banner

Do not buy used :(

880 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Adastra 
#1 ·
I bought a used 20 gallon yesterday, cleaning it all up and had it set up over night...this morning I was emptying it and cleaning it again as I wanted to make sure all the bleach is out. I TAPPED the back glass with the terra cota planter I had it it and CRACK....water everywhere!!!! FRIGGGG! I just ordered 6 female bettas!!!!
Good thing it's my birthday soon. My hubby just left to buy me a tank and heater and a few plants(I gave him a list). I love him <3

#4 ·
Wow, that's terrible! I do have to disagree with not buying used though, my 20 long was used-$50 for a tank, stand, 2 filters, 2 heaters, over 5 air pumps and a bunch of other stuff. I didn't need to buy any equipment! Mine was/is in great condition aside from initial cleaning (I think it had once been used for saltwater as there was a lot of residue, or their water may have had a lot of minerals). Good luck with your new tank!

#5 ·
Oh no, I feel worried now... I'm planning on buying a used 10 gallon off Kijiji D:

In the picture it looks like it's in spiffy condition, So I'll just hope for the best!

#6 ·
Yes just make sure it's not from like 1980 like this one and it's wood grain hood :p

My floor should be fine, I got out the wet vac right away. Not worried about our carpet anyways, it won't be staying if I can help it.

Even though I wasted 20 bucks I still got a usable iron stand and an air pump. The filter she tried to give me was gross, I just chucked it.

#7 ·
Sorry you had so much trouble with the used tank! If you were closer I would give you a 10 gallon that is sitting in my garage right now! I bought 2 10 gallons off of a gal and only wanted one of them. But...I got both tanks, a stand, a bunch of stuff that I threw away, some bubble wands that aren't even open, 2 filters that do work but one needs a part that I can't find, 3 air pumps, a heater...all for I think it was $25?

Sweet that hubby is out getting you new though!!!!

#10 ·
I buy used all the time, but when you are getting tanks off of craigslist, kijiji, etc, make sure you ask the age of the tank. Most tanks last without resealing for about 10 years, but I don't buy tanks that are over around a year old unless they've had a repair job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.