Betta Fish Forum banner

Thank you community!

741 views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  CrazyCatLady 
#1 ·
I just wanted to say thank you bettafish.com community! All the information posted by the users on this site helped me with everything I needed to know in order to keep a betta.

I brought my first betta, a black and blue colored crowntail, home today and I must say he seems quite happy in his new 2.5 gallon tank with tetra 3i filter and zoo med bettatherm heater.

I will try to post some pictures when I get some time!

Thanks again!

#4 ·
Congrats, and I hope you have many wonderful years of fishkeeping ahead of you!

Your new boy is quite a looker! What is his name?

#5 ·
I haven't come up with a name yet. Ill give it some time. I'm sure ill come up with something.

I'm having some trouble getting him to eat. Every time I go up to the tank he takes off behind the filter. I put one pellet in and he never touched it. Is there any process that gets them used to being fed?

#6 ·
If he just arrived today, give him some time. My male halfmoon didn't eat for about a week when I got him. Let him get used to the surroundings. If possible, leave him alone in a semi-dark room so he has a chance to settle down.

#7 ·
I love his coloring. What a lucky little boy :3

#9 ·
I had a 3gal with a filter before - I did 50% twice a week and one 100% biweekly. It was recommended two 50% and a 100% per week, but it was stressful on my HM to go through a 100% each week.

#10 ·
Nice tank and lovely Betta...nice find.....are those live plants....

In a 3gal filtered tank...water changes of twice weekly 50%...1-50% water only and 1-50% to include the substrate by vacuum or stir and dip method should maintain water quality....

Filter media-give this a swish/rinse in old tank water with a water change a couple of times a month....

As posted....he may need time to adjust to his new environment before he start to eat good for you...keep offering and be sure and remove the uneaten food unless those are live plants

A good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals are best......

#11 ·
Don't do a 100% change on a filtered tank, or if you do, make sure you turn the filter off and don't turn it back on until you have dechlorinated water or else you will kill off all of your good bacteria!

If you get some frozen brine shrimp he might eat sooner, but he is probably still getting used to having so much space!

#12 ·
I'm using the same filter for my 1 gallon tanks. My water change schedule is 50% water change twice a week and 100% one a week. So, I'll do 100% Sunday, 50% Tuesday, 50%Thursday and repeat. That rhytme works for me unless something goes wrong (like Luigi curling his top fin and glaring when the water isn't *@#!en perfect <.<). I think 2.5 gallons have the same water change schedule as my one gallons. If not, then it is one 50% water change and one 100% water change a week.

Sometimes I do wonder if anyone else's fish does what Luigi does when there is a sudden ammonia spike out of nowhere. If it's a personality quirk, then it's really convienent. Luigi's moodiness is a better ammonia detector than any liquid test on the market. :D

Welcome and good luck with your new fish. :)

#13 ·
I'm assuming it's because you were taking pictures of the setup, but I have to ask anyway...you have a lid for the tank, right?

Bettas LOVE to jump!

A friend of mine had hers sitting on her bathroom sink during a water change and Mr Buble decided to leap into the sink....and was never seen again. :(

#14 ·
I'm assuming it's because you were taking pictures of the setup, but I have to ask anyway...you have a lid for the tank, right?

Bettas LOVE to jump!

A friend of mine had hers sitting on her bathroom sink during a water change and Mr Buble decided to leap into the sink....and was never seen again. :(
I was wondering the same thing. But that brings me to a question. I have the same tank and I'm going to have a filter on it too - how do you put a lid on something like that? Right now I'm using what came with the tank (a glass "canopy") but it doesn't have air holes so I use it slightly out of alignment so it gives enough to get air but not enough room for jumpers!

#15 ·
I cant find a lid to that tank any where. Petco had nothing that would match the tank. The tank was given to me by a friend but it came with no lid. Im guessing now that I will have to try to make a lid for it. In the mean time ive been using plastic wrap with a few holes poked in it.

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.