Betta Fish Forum banner

George/Dorothy died

726 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  AlexXx 
#1 ·
I am sad. My 4 yr old's Betta, George/Dorothy (she changed his name to Dorothy, named after Elmo's goldfish Dorothy), died today. She pointed out that there was no fish in the tank. Upon closer inspection. he had swam into his "cave" and died there. She is still trying to understand how he went to "sleep" and isn't waking up. Poor George, he hadn't been feeling well in recent days, not his usual "perky" self, and not excited about food. There was no improvement after a water change. I think he just died of old age (he was on the larger side so he definitely wasn't young when we got him).

So.... now I'm wondering what it is I need to do. I was thinking of removing George/Dorothy, cleaning out the tank, and setting everything aside for a few weeks before we put a new fish in the tank. Is there anything else I need to do?

We'll be out of town for a few days, so I thought it would be better for us to get a new fish after we return. I wanted to rescue another Betta, but my daughter said she wants a goldfish! I do not want a poopy fish, so I'll see if I can steer her back to Bettas.

#3 ·
Goldfish need at least 10 gallons per fish anyway.Good luck!

#4 ·
Yeah, I was thinking it'd be nice to get a Crown Tail. Of course they're all so sad looking in the store that DD won't actually realize how cool they are until after we've had one in our care for a few weeks.

I didn't realize goldfish needed so much more space, even a very small goldfish?

#5 ·
ya a crown tale or half moon betta. my fishes name is dorothy after elmos gold fish! Finn my fish died last night. =(

#7 ·
Oh yes! My sister bought one of those little feeder goldfish for our New Years, and my dad later put it in his 75 gal. He grew to be a good 35 cm!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.