Betta Fish Forum banner

woo-hoo petco $1 per gallon sale

4K views 83 replies 29 participants last post by  angelfish11788 
#1 ·
now thru january 19 th. just thought y'all would want to know!

#3 ·
did you get it at petco? buy another one for 20 and take it back with your other reciept and get difference back. or sometimes stores will give money back if the item goes on sale within a week of buying it. i finally get a 40 breeder for my 2 baby orandas with enough room for 1 ranchu.

/

#8 ·
The 2.5's go on sale for you? Lucky! The sale normally starts at 10 gallons and up around here! Making the 10 gallons at $10 cheaper than the 5.5 gallons at $12.

#9 ·
The 2.5G & 5.5G glass tanks are NOT part of the sale.

It's the plastic 2.5G bow kits that come with everything BUT, a heater which is an essential piece of equipment now that the average temperature across the USA is 30 degrees F.

You'll need $20 for the 2.5G plastic tank kit & $20 for a heater

$42 total with tax.

Option #2

Get a filter, heater & NEW 10G glass tank with NO LID for $45.

#10 ·
It's the plastic 2.5G bow kits that come with everything BUT, a heater which is an essential piece of equipment now that the average temperature across the USA is 30 degrees F.

You'll need $20 for the 2.5G plastic tank kit & $20 for a heater

$42 total with tax.

Option #2

Get a filter, heater & NEW 10G glass tank with NO LID for $45.
I agree that 10 gallons are a much better option.

BUT if you dont have the money, or room for another 10 gallon, like me, you can get the 2.5 for $20, and then order a heater on amazon, I got some betta sticks on there for like $5 a piece just now plus $8 shipping. Not too shabby! comes out to about 27.00 a piece (if you buy 4)

#12 ·
Sweet! Need another 10 gallon!

#15 ·
They are on sale for $19.99 on their website. hopefully thats true in stores too. (we dont have one close by) I just bought 4 of them because petsmarts are always like $37 so I couldnt pass this up!

#17 ·
well i call petco and they have the $1 gal sale going on but i'm wondering which is a better deal get a 20 gal tank for $20 vs getting 10 gal tank kit w/food/water fall filter/lights/top cover @ walmart for $30? Im thinking 20 gal tank + all those accessories will cost more than $20 and i will definitely need a top cover for the 20 gal tank.

#20 ·
Ugh. 2 months ago I invested in 2 10 gallon kits from walmart, bought new 6500k bulbs and planted them. The plants are now established and beautifully green! However I've been waiting for this sale, it never seemed to return and yet here it is...$1 a gallon...my dream would be to get each betta a 20 gallon, yet then id have to invest in new hoods/lights et...I just dont know if it would be worth it or not...thoughts? Would you invest in the 20gals or just stick with established 10gals? It's really tempting me. Thinking logically and realistically...what would you do?

#21 ·
That's a tough one! Aqueon Hoods with flourescent lights for 20gallons are like $40, a filter would be $25 and youd need a 100-150w heater, at minimum another $20. So like $100+ total. I think at that point itd still cost less to buy the kits for them off sale. I'd rather stay with an established 10g and save the money

#22 ·
it is really beneficial to people who already have extra hoods,lights etc. as far as i've seen this sale is bi-annual. end of june and end of december. we'll see if this rings true in 6 months. the mini bows are part of another sale, that happens to be going on at the same time. not part of the $1/gallon sale. the sale includes assorted rectangle tanks 10-55 gallons.

#27 ·
I am definitely going Friday to buy a 10 gallon tank for $10 b4 tax about $12 after tax so I can get everything set for my male betta that I will get in a few months. I am anxious.

#30 ·
I take that back. I would rather spend the $30 and get the kit than spend $10 for just the tank then have to spend more to get the rest of the stuff. no thanks.

#31 ·
Does the kit come with a heater? The worst part for me in getting a new tank is not getting a lid with it, but I don't like the hoods that come with most kits. I am starting to make my own hoods now, but I still need the glass tops to go under those hoods. Part of me wonders if it would be cheaper to go get the glass cut to size at a local shop.

Still though, $10 for the tank, $14 for the glass lid (at Petsmart, just bought one), $14 for the heater, and it will cost me $10 to make a hood with better lighting than any premade hood will offer. If I could eliminate or lower the cost of the glass lid then any size tank (not just 10 gals) would be really reasonable! This needs to be investigated more...

#32 ·
Yes the $30 10 gallon aquarium kit comes with heater, thermometer, lid, LED lighting, and Whisper filter.

#33 ·
Tetra whispers are nice filters, but they often need baffling for a betta, even at the lowest setting.

Are the kit heaters adjustable, or fixed? The kit sounds like a good "get started" deal, but if the heater isn't adjustable, I'd replace it day one and keep the other as an emergency spare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.