Betta Fish Forum banner

New Betta Questions

2K views 33 replies 7 participants last post by  Sena Hansler 
#1 ·
Hi All!

I just got a new Betta today and thought that I had followed the proper guidelines to preparing his tank, etc. I've owned Betta's before (though it's been many years), but I was inexperienced at the time and didn't really give them nice big tanks, etc. Even so, they lived about 3 years and were healthy and seemed pretty happy. I had them in large bowls before, with no filter system, so this part is new to me.

This new guy I got today, is just hanging out on the bottom of the tank, hiding behind his plant. He won't eat. (Which I realize can happen sometimes.) He's not actively swimming or exploring. His fins are fairly pinned. He's just laying on his side/stomach on the rocks in the corner.

My biggest question is... How do I know if the filter in my 5gal tank is too strong for him? I don't know if he's just lounging and adjusting, or if the current is too strong for him, or what?

The temp is fine, water is well-conditioned and treated, levels are within normal range.

Is he just depressed? Is the filter flow too strong? Is he just adapting?

Any advice welcomed and thanks ahead of time!:)

See less See more
#2 ·
Bettas who are adjusting, can sulk or hide... I've had bettas who did that, didn't eat for weeks, then I had those who would eat right away and play in the flow of the filter :roll:

Is yuor filter adjustable? If not I would recommend maybe baffling it... I do not know how to so someone else has to pipe up :)

#5 ·
You can try getting him some API Stress Coat, two cap fulls may make him get used to his tank faster.. I have had some Bettas who didn't like the larger tanks and preferred a smaller place to live. If he starts losing his color, gasping for air and darting away from you I would take him out and either divide the tank in half for a bit or if you happen to have one on hand put him in a smaller tank. Sometimes it can just be too much of a shock going from a little cup to an "ocean" of a 5 gallon aquarium right away.

#8 ·
Thanks Cheese! I will get that right after work today. When I woke up this morning, he had moved around in the tank a little, but his top fin is fading in color and he is clearly still depressed. I am going to add the API today, and see if I can slow the filter flow a little. Worried about the poor little guy. :cry:

#6 ·
I had a betta (Dally...still have him!) who loved his stupid 1 gallon bowl :roll: I tried to upgrade him to a 3 gallon and for a week he would not eat, would not move except to dart when you spooked him. So I put him back and he was perfectly fine ><

#9 ·
Hmmm maybe... you could try turning the filter off? If anything, you could invest in a small 10-20 Whisper air pump, air tubing, an adjustable flow valve, and an aquarium sponge :) I use it for fry tanks AND for weak swimmers. My Georgie is an ancient grumpy bugger and he needs a sponge filter :lol:

#10 ·
Thanks, I did go buy a 10w whisper with a sponge, but it's not looking too good. Temp is fluxuating between 78-82. I gave him some Betta Fix and he went from laying on his side and panting, to laying upside down and panting.

It's not looking good for the little guy and I'm not sure what else to do at this point other than give him time and see how he goes. I'm rootin' for the little guy and hate seeing him suffer. :-(

#11 ·
How high are the levels in your tank? What kind of tap water conditioner do you use? When was the last water change?

Can you put him back in the old tank?

#12 ·
Sena,

I just got him yesterday and he came in a cup. I had cycled and conditioned the water for 72 hours before transitioning him. The pH was at 7.0, temp was between 78-80 degrees. I use API Betta Conditioner. Hadn't even had a chance to do a water change for him, as he just died this afternoon... Didn't even live for 24 hours and I am very sad that he suffered. :cry:

#13 ·
Hi Everyone!

Thank you so much for the input and advice. Unfortunately, the little guy passed away just this past hour. I'm not sure if he was already sick before I bought him, or the stress of being relocated was just too much, or what. I felt that I had taken every measure to prepare his tank accordingly and transition him gently. Poor little guy.

So, as I decide what step to take next, what are you guys' advice. Obviously I need to do a full water change and all new cycling. Is there someplace specific I should look at buying my new Betta from? (Without paying a fortune.)

Any other steps I should go back and redo?

Thanks all!

#14 ·
By the sound of it, he probably was sick. Unfortunately many bettas kept in un-ideal conditions might suffer, and it sucks!

Cycling is good for 5 gallons and up, and can take 4-6 weeks approximately with an ammonia source...a fish... pure ammonia...piece of raw shrimp... or fish food. With 50% weekly cleaning.

Personally I say stay away from Walmart bettas. I dunno where you got your fella... Depending on your area you might have a breeder near you, or someone on here who could ship you a healthy betta, especially if they are close enough! Aquabid might have some too, if you would be willing to have one shipped :) I've seen Ebay ones go for free shipping, and decently priced bettas.

If you cannot get one shipped, try a live fish store over a pet store. They tend to care more! If you have to go with a pet store, just check these:

1. bettas fins are full and not stuck together. 2. the betta is active and reacts well to you or other fish, va flaring or becoming active. 3. Color is full, without discoloration, patches, ich, or rot/holes in fins or body. 4. the gills shouldn't be stuck open, inflamed, but because they are in cups they may not be a healthy pink either, as they should be.

#15 ·
Thanks Sena!

I will look into all of these possibilities for finding a young healthy guy. I got him at PetSmart (and generally I've had good experiences with them in the past). It's ironic because my husband and I have had a 100gal saltwater live reef aquarium for three years, and managed to keep those fish alive. But, this poor little Betta didn't make it 24 hours.

I appreciate your input and advice!

Cheers!

#17 ·
Poor fella.

You can still buy from PetSmart, I own 9 Bettas 3 of which are from PetSmart, 1 from WalMart and 5 from PetCo.. I've had one of my PetSmart boys since August last year, it's not always where you get them from that matters.

I suggest with your next Betta purchase try putting him in a 1 - 2 gallon tank for a week or so first with just a plant, no gravel just a soft plant that won't tear his or her fins. Change his water once a day with the Stress Coat. This is just so that you know for sure that your new fish is healthy and not sick, they typically show their sickness within that first week of you having them. This will also help him get used to having more room to swim, because chances are he's not been in a whole lot of water for most of his life. And, it'll give you some time to bond with him without him being able to get too far away from you to hide lol, you'll be able to become friends a bit quicker this way, just dont be pushy ;) .

While you're doing that go ahead and cycle your newly redone 5 gallon. This will give it plenty of time to acclimate and get your water perimeters in check. If you don't have any yet, try to look for some Top Fin Bacteria Supplement or API Quick Start, even though your tank should be fine with everything at the end of the week, either of those (or both) will help the tanks water straighten out quickly and make it safe for your fishy.

After a week you can put 2 cap fulls of the stress coat in the 5 gallon and let it sit like that for about 20 minutes then you can place your new Betta in the tank. Make sure he's got plenty of places to hide and explore. My Bettas love those floating Betta logs and the Marimo Moss Balls. If you happen to buy one of the moss balls you'll want to get it around the same time as your new fish because they need to be quarantined for a week as well, but in untreated tap water, just so they don't carry any diseases or little critters into your new clean tank.

#19 ·
Agreed. I have a bottle of "bacterial suppliment" aaaand what a waste. It didn't even have instructions on it! And it ended up killing everything -.- "add bacterial suppliment and add fish three days after." DON'T DO IT D:

I just use the messy method of fish food xD

Actually I think I threw it out too...

#21 ·
Thanks Sam, I was really bummed. I've owned Bettas before but it's been several years. At the time, I just had them in a large bowl with basically no frills. Seems like that actually worked better at the time.

Sometimes I wonder if we overdo it by pimping out our tanks so much, when in other countries they are often so low maintenance and seem to do fine! lol;-)

#23 ·
How to make a filter baffle using a water bottle: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

I made this! I had everything needed to make it and it took me maybe 10 minutes. My betta was being swooshed around and was avoiding thefilter current. After baffling, she actually plays in the smoother and out-of-the-way current. :)

#25 ·
Meet Sam (Samurai)!!

Just wanted to thank you all for your helpful advice and support! With your help I was able to redo my tank, make sure that everything was completely balanced and ready, and bring home my new little guy Samurai! (Sam)

He seems very happy and healthy and I am a proud Betta Mommy!!

Thanks guys!! :-D

Attachments

#31 ·
When fish are bought, usually its best not to feed for 24 hours because they're stressed and come become constipated, or they won't eat at all it can cause ammonia to be released, or worse, an algae bloom.

The only thing I use in my betta's tank is a sponge filter. They create basically no suction, and no surface agitation if you're using a valve to control air flow. They are pretty efficient, small, and simple. Also, they're super cheap.. I get mine for just about six bucks, shipping included.

Sponge filter: http://www.amazon.com/Aquarium-Bioc...?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1337984188&sr=1-4

#32 ·
Yeah I got a sponge filter from ebay, and never looked back =D I love it! I have the 10-20 Tetra whisper, which for the size it is very quiet.

#33 ·
I did end up switching to a whisper filter AND putting a sponge on it. It was pretty reasonably priced and he is so much happier!

Betta's are like potato chips... you can't have just one!

I am already setting up another tank and preparing for me next one!;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.