Betta Fish Forum banner

Writing complaint letter to Petco corporate

7K views 58 replies 13 participants last post by  LinkLover 
#1 ·
So I'm about to lose it with my local Petco stores, and want to write the best complaint letter to corporate as I can. I have pictures of all the sick fish I have obtained from them, so those will go along with it, but I want to take my time and do this right. Does anyone with any experience in this area have any suggestions/tips on things to include (or not include) in the letter? I want this to be as powerful as I can make it, so they understand how seriously their customers take the treatment of their bettas.

#2 ·
Try not to sound snippy, but give them a professional chewing out. Maybe give them a hint to check change.org and search "petco". include pictures (which you are) and say things like "I know your trying to make money off these guys but to what extent will you go?" compare them to walmart, that aught to get their attention lol

#3 ·
make sure to not sound accusing, be very formal, type it up and sign it and everything, tell them that it would be to THEIR benefit to care for them more, as it would reqiure very little extra effort from their employees, and that sick/dead fish among living ones will make potential customers question the health of the living fish around them. be sure to list the addresses of the specific stores you rescued the fish from. also include that you understand how their business works, that there are many fish and other things to take care of, make it sound like you are making a suggestion, not a complaint, because that will get you alot further than going off on the things that they do wrong

#4 ·
you should post a rough draft on here too :)

#5 ·
what if we get a group of us together and we all send the same letter to cooperate? I wonder what they would do then...

#6 ·
Call the corporate Headquarters, and ask for the CEO persons name so it goes directly to that person, and let them know that upon noticing some explain what you saw, that you would like to address some of these issues in writing, and need an address, and name of the person whom to send it to,

Then in the letter, address the issues of what you see, and yes, in what store, ask the store for thier # as they all have this for this designated purpose, and just let them know in the letter that you have pictures that you can also send in an e-mail, and go to the Corp website, to include the pictures as well, and just let them know that it needs to be changed, for the health of the fish, and the employees who maybe discarding the fish improperly, and thus their will be cross contamination is other species of fish ...something along those lines should work fine..:) Make your points, as precise and to the point, and also ask why they cannot or why they haven't overhauled the whole betta system, so that these changes are met?

#7 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions! I USED to be good at writing essays, so I hope I still have that in me somewhere. I definitely don't want to be rude or insulting (well, I WANT to but wont) because I know that accomplishes nothing. Cjconcepcion I was just telling my fiance the same thing about how when people see dead fish, it makes them wonder if they really want to get an animal in those conditions. I wont go easy on them, but I will make it as intelligent and professional as possible. Ivandert, that's a great idea! Get a group to write a bunch of letters and send them. Who knows what corporate would think, but if enough people did it they would HAVE to pay attention. And once I get something good I will post it here. :)

#8 ·
Lelei, good idea to go straight for the source! That way it doesn't go through a bunch of people, or just get discarded by someone who doesn't care/doesn't want it to go to the CEO.

#10 ·
Also, you should point out that if petstores sold the correct equipment for bettas and educated fish buyers on the proper way to care for them, they would have less dead fish, more happy customers, and probably a lot more profit. costs a lot more to get a heater, 10g tank, filter, etc for a betta than a $12 tiny divided less than a gallon tank!

#11 ·
Sapphoira, good tip! And it's so true too, even though they can argue that having a lot of small sales adds up, since fewer people would want to spend big money for a betta. But over time, they definitely would be making more. Hopefully they think about long term and not just short term profits, since that would help the bettas AND Petco itself (which doesn't matter to me, but would appeal to them).

#12 ·
I love writing letters to corporations >:)

Be extremely professional, and try not to sound as if you are having a casual conversation with them. You want it to sound slightly cold, but very well thought out, and forceful without being overly emotional. When someone opens a letter that contains slang, multiple exclamation points, expletives or is downright assaulting, they don't take the time to finish reading it. Pack the letter full of factual information regarding the animals and provide examples of how the stores are going against these facts.

If you are comfortable with it, post the letter on here before you send it so we can weigh in on any points that may have been overlooked, etc :)

#13 ·
#14 ·
Thanks toad, good to know someone has experience! Luckily I always type out my words and harly ever use bad words (besides out loud sometimes), so that will make it much easier. I found the address for corporate and the name of the CEO, so I will start working on my draft and should have one posted over the next few days. I want it to REALLY make an impact.

#15 ·
#17 ·
Ok, I have my letter written up but it wont let me attach it to this reply. I tried saving it as a different type of file but it still doesn't work. :( I think it sounds good, but having input would be nice too. Ugh. Oh well, I will be sending it within the next few days so hopefully I get a response!

#19 ·
I didn't think about that. :p But it's also two and a third pages long, so I'd probably have to post it in parts.

#20 ·
Dear Mr. Myers,

My family and I have been customers of Petco for many years now, and have always been happy with the service provided by the employees and the products we have purchased. However, some months ago I started keeping Betta fish, and what I have found in Petco stores is nothing short of appalling. The tiny cups they are kept in are filled with excrement, moldy food, and undoubtedly enormous quantities of ammonia. Unfortunately, the water is not the only issue with the condition of these animals; the fish themselves are sick and dying.
I see diseases of all kinds afflicting the Betta fish, from Swim Bladder Disease to a Body Slime Infection, and I see them every single time I enter a Petco store. Aside from the gravely ill Betta fish, without fail I have to point out at least one Betta that is already deceased, lying completely unnoticed in his dirty little cup. I have photos of multiple Bettas I have purchased that depict the poor quality of life I have just described, which will be included on the last two pages of this letter. These conditions are disturbing and completely unacceptable for a company who sells and claims to care about their animals. Another serious concern is the care sheet for these fish that contain numerous incorrect facts and requirements for proper care.
The first and one of the most important pieces of misinformation listed on the Petco Betta care sheet is the minimum size for the tank. The care sheet states: “Male Bettas… do best in containers of one liter (approximately a quarter of a gallon) or larger.” This is very far from the truth. Most Betta enthusiasts will agree that the absolute minimum size for a Betta is one gallon, and that is only if complete water changes are done every other day, and other care requirements are also met. Also, stating that Bettas need temperatures of “72-82 F” (which should actually be 76-84 F) would mean that for the majority of household to achieve that temperature a heater would be required. Safely heating a tank as small as one quarter of a gallon is not possible, and will also not fit in a container of that size. Maintaining a safe aquarium to keep fish healthy is extremely important, and that is also an area where the care sheet is lacking.
“Do a complete change for small bowls (less than 2 gallons) once a week.” Following this guideline will cause the tank to be overloaded with ammonia, and ultimately make the Betta sick and die. As stated above, small one gallon tanks should be changed completely every other day to keep the environment safe for the Betta. Also, larger aquariums need a 25% change every week, not ever 2-4 weeks, and that is if they are cycled (which they should be). They are like any other tropical fish and need to have clean water in order to be healthy and live a full life.
Finally, the diet and feeding sections are not accurate and do not reflect the nutritional needs of these fish. Flaked foods should not be part of a Bettas’ diet, and instead should be fed pellets made especially for them. Frozen treats such as bloodworms should be just that, treats, and only given once a week to prevent over feeding. As for feeding directions, “Feed sparingly 3 times per week and no more than fish can eat in 3-5 minutes”, that is a recipe for a dirty tank and an over fed Betta. Betta fish should be fed about four individual pellets every day, and fasted once a week to prevent bloating. As you can see, the care sheet provided by Petco does not accurately list the proper care requirements for these fish, and misleads many customers which eventually will result in a sickly and poorly cared for Betta.
Something else I would like to bring to your attention that I know is very important to Petco; profits. Promoting incorrect care to make small (but very numerous) sales is a very disappointing practice, and it’s unfortunate that things have gone so far as to cause the deaths of countless animals who don’t deserve the treatment they receive. However, I believe that if Petco were to promote proper Betta care, profits would increase as the customers would be spending much more on the necessary supplies. Buying a more acceptable tank, such as a 2 gallon or more, is going to cost more money than a small, quarter of a gallon container. Plus, if the customer buys a heater, thermometer, proper food, gravel, and plants, they will be spending even more. Therefore, properly caring for these animals benefits the Bettas themselves, your customers, and your company. On the other hand, if Petco continues this pattern of neglect, it will cause customers (like myself) to look elsewhere for healthy Bettas, and a decline in profits will soon follow.
Whether thinking of trying to provide better conditions for your Bettas for their sake, a combination of reasons, or simply just to increase profits, there is nothing to lose by allowing these animals to live better lives. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and I hope that it will encourage you to make changes regarding the care of these wonderful little fish.

Sincerely,

Cristina (Last name is included, but I'm leaving it out online)

#22 ·
Thank you! To be honest, I was super nervous about posting it. But now I'm glad I did, and glad you like it!

#23 ·
I see room for 2 possible changes.

I think when you mention the care sheets it would be easier to read if you made bullet points instead of a big paragraph. For example:

Of serious concern is the care sheet for these fish that contain numerous incorrect facts and requirements for proper care.

1. Most Betta enthusiasts will agree that the absolute minimum size for a Betta is one gallon, and that is only if complete water changes are done every other day

2. The diet and feeding sections are not accurate and do not reflect the nutritional needs of these fish.

3. etc etc etc

I think you should also mention the Petco positives like their adoption assistance and the bookshelf aquarium that is perfect for bettas and might be marketed as such.

#24 ·
What a great letter! I like how you use forceful vocabulary, but don't go overboard with it! I really quick put it into "business letter" format (I wasn't sure if you'd already done so, but just in case, here it be). There were also a couple contractions I highlighted if that's okaaaaay. XD
Edit: and +1 on registereduser's post. The grammar nazi in me was just looking at format, etc. X3

Your 2-line Address (without name)

Date written/sent

Mr. ? Myers
His position
Petco Co, etc.
2-line address

Dear Mr. Myers,

My family and I have been customers of Petco for many years now, and have always been happy with the service provided by the employees and the products we have purchased. However, some months ago I started keeping Betta fish, and what I have found in Petco stores is nothing short of appalling. The tiny cups they are kept in are filled with excrement, moldy food, and undoubtedly enormous quantities of ammonia. Unfortunately, the water is not the only issue with the condition of these animals; the fish themselves are sick and dying.

I see diseases of all kinds afflicting the Betta fish, from Swim Bladder Disease to a Body Slime Infection, and I see them every single time I enter a Petco store. Aside from the gravely ill Betta fish, without fail I have to point out at least one Betta that is already deceased, lying completely unnoticed in his dirty little cup. I have photos of multiple Bettas I have purchased that depict the poor quality of life I have just described, which will be included on the last two pages of this letter. These conditions are disturbing and completely unacceptable for a company who sells and claims to care about their animals. Another serious concern is the care sheet for these fish that contain numerous incorrect facts and requirements for proper care.

The first and one of the most important pieces of misinformation listed on the Petco Betta care sheet is the minimum size for the tank. The care sheet states: “Male Bettas… do best in containers of one liter (approximately a quarter of a gallon) or larger.” This is very far from the truth. Most Betta enthusiasts will agree that the absolute minimum size for a Betta is one gallon, and that is only if complete water changes are done every other day, and other care requirements are also met. Also, stating that Bettas need temperatures of “72-82 F” (which should actually be 76-84 F) would mean that for the majority of household to achieve that temperature a heater would be required. Safely heating a tank as small as one quarter of a gallon is not possible, and will also not fit in a container of that size. Maintaining a safe aquarium to keep fish healthy is extremely important, and that is also an area where the care sheet is lacking.

“Do a complete change for small bowls (less than 2 gallons) once a week.” Following this guideline will cause the tank to be overloaded with ammonia, and ultimately make the Betta sick and die. As stated above, small one gallon tanks should be changed completely every other day to keep the environment safe for the Betta. Also, larger aquariums need a 25% change every week, not ever 2-4 weeks, and that is if they are cycled (which they should be). They are like any other tropical fish and need to have clean water in order to be healthy and live a full life.

Finally, the diet and feeding sections are not accurate and do not reflect the nutritional needs of these fish. Flaked foods should not be part of a Bettas’ diet, and instead should be fed pellets made especially for them. Frozen treats such as bloodworms should be just that, treats, and only given once a week to prevent over feeding. As for feeding directions, “Feed sparingly 3 times per week and no more than fish can eat in 3-5 minutes”, that is a recipe for a dirty tank and an over fed Betta. Betta fish should be fed about four individual pellets every day, and fasted once a week to prevent bloating. As you can see, the care sheet provided by Petco does not accurately list the proper care requirements for these fish, and misleads many customers which eventually will result in a sickly and poorly cared for Betta.

Something else I would like to bring to your attention that I know is very important to Petco; profits. Promoting incorrect care to make small (but very numerous) sales is a very disappointing practice, and it is unfortunate that things have gone so far as to cause the deaths of countless animals who do not deserve the treatment they receive. However, I believe that if Petco were to promote proper Betta care, profits would increase as the customers would be spending much more on the necessary supplies. Buying a more acceptable tank, such as a 2 gallon or more, is going to cost more money than a small, quarter of a gallon container. Plus, if the customer buys a heater, thermometer, proper food, gravel, and plants, they will be spending even more. Therefore, properly caring for these animals benefits the Bettas themselves, your customers, and your company. On the other hand, if Petco continues this pattern of neglect, it will cause customers (like myself) to look elsewhere for healthy Bettas, and a decline in profits will soon follow.

Whether thinking of trying to provide better conditions for your Bettas for their sake, a combination of reasons, or simply just to increase profits, there is nothing to lose by allowing these animals to live better lives. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter, and I hope that it will encourage you to make changes regarding the care of these wonderful little fish.

Sincerely,

Your Name
Phone Number or Email address

Encl: Photos of Betta conditions

#26 ·
Ok great, thank you both for your suggestions. I will definitely put it in business format (I was never any good at how to set that up, so thank you) and will try to edit the care sheet corrections into bullets. Registereduser, is there any particular place where you feel including the promotion of the bookshelf aquarium would be most appropriate?

And thank you. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.