Betta Fish Forum banner

Anyone ever use nutrafin cycle?

944 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  paloverde 
#1 ·
My 20 gal with 3 bloodfin tetras doesnt build any ammonia, im thinking I need to add more tetras to get it going but I bought some nutrafin cycle and was wondering if anyone has used it with success?

I know from what ive read in articles on the net, many say this product has the wrong type of bacteriia, but the company states it came to this realization in 2009 and updated their product and ever since then they have been using the correct bacteria. So I have faith in the product its-self.

I know using a bacterial supplement doesnt take the place of an actual legthy cycle, but I dont see why I couldnt add bacteria to the filter to give it a boost? I mean, wouldnt it be the same as seeding the filter with a previously cycled filter (which I dont have available)?

With that said, im just curious if anyone has used a bacterial suppliment in their tank and if its worked well?

Im also seeing people say you will always have to dose the BB's to ensure they remain in the tank. Is this true? I honestly dont mind dosing after each water change et, but im wondering why you would have to keep dosing...the BB's should grow on the aquarium decor and the filter, why would you have to keep dosing? What if you missed a dose?

Im also wondering..my bettas really dont create any ammonia at all, they are each in 10 gals with 2 snails, I test ammonia but nothing, I mean if I let them go for 3 weeks there might be but I dont ever let them go that far, I am probably better off not to bother using the product in their tanks since there wont be much ammonia to feed the BB right?

Sorry for so many Q's, Im just curious before I get into using the product :)

See less See more
#2 ·
I've actually used it before and it worked. I think it may because I brought it as soon as it came in, though, so the bacteria was still in it. It worked good and safely and it didn't really spike that much (not to the point it's toxic).

I've only used it once, though, to help speed the cycle of the tank. (The tank wasn't new but hadn't been used in awhile and all the bacteria would have died off).

If your Betta are already in there, I wouldn't recommend using it, just in case. If they've been in there for a long time already, chances are the tank has been cycled by them, and adding it can cause unnecessary spikes or make your fish ill.

#3 ·
If all you have in the 20 is 3 bloodfins, the tank will only need x amount of bacteria to keep the cycle. The fish are producing ammonia the bacteria are processing away, it's a balance, the nitrogen cycle is happening perhaps... quietly... if you add a a billion nitrifying bacteria to the tank they will starve and die. If you add more fish slowly the bb will multiply as needed. That said the only bacteria in a bottle that I have personally witnessed actually truly cycleing a tank was tetra safe start. I was very doubtful that it would work and when that tank cycled in about 7 days I was floored.Tetra safe start is a one time dose product.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.