Betta Fish Forum banner

Good 2.5 gallon tanks for a price tag under 36?

1K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Arashi Takamine 
#1 ·
Okay so I spoke with someone on dA over what happened concerning Kalona and Kaida and they advised because I want to do better to get bigger tanks and a filter.

The 2.5 gallons is the best I can do at a cheap price but I wanna know which tanks would look good in a living room themed with zen, black and gold without looking too out of place.

I'm considering a Minibow or the 2.5 gallon black lined tank from Petsmart that was thirteen dollars.

I wanna do the best and I mean the absolute best I can offer but...My mom is the one to convince. My dad whom had the idea to get fish first I know will be on board with me the entire way. I know I can sway my mom if I can find some great Aquarium decor that will make it look zen and not hard to maintain. We love how our tanks look now but I'm already getting idea's if we upgrade.

Also what will the best filters be for that?

#4 ·
@ ilovebunnies - I was going for anything that can mimic our asian and zen theme.

@ Pewpewpew - I was considering that. It's just my mom hates the normal tank look. Hell my dad didn't even like the idea of me having a single minibow in my own room. (Maybe they figure then I'll lock myself up in my room for good.) I decided to stick with the tanks I have for now since I'm looking into girls and I'm trusting my own instincts and you guys more then one breeder whom was all elitest before.

#5 ·
Well if you use the standard 2.5 gallon tanks then you could get some tall bamboo and plant them in the tank. You would just have to make sure the leaves aren't in the water and that the water line is kept a little lower from preventing your fish from jumping out. For the standard 2.5 gallon tank I recommend the Deco Art Red Sea Nano Filter. It has a gentle adjustable flow that is good for bettas (I use one). You can get the tank for $13 and the filter usually runs around $10.

For tank decorations I know Petco has Asian theme structures and Buddhas. If you don't live near Petco, you could try Petco.com or amazon for any decor to fit your theme. You could also try doing some live plants, Java Fern or Anubias are good starter plants that look nice, are low light, and don't need fertilizers or CO2 to do well.

#7 ·
That's a really cool setup!
If you are looking for under $35, PetSmart has 2.5 gallon glass aquariums (around $13) with a black trim around it. Really simple and really stylish when fully decorated. PetSmart also has some smaller plants for around $2 and some larger ones for $5 if you have a PetSmart card (which you can just ask for one and they will give it to you). Gravel...maybe spend another $8-10 and right there you have already spent $13 for the aquarium + $2 for one small plant + $5 for one larger plant + let's say $10 for gravel = $30! :) Since you already have aquariums, I am guessing you have filters and heaters already.

#8 ·
As it is heaters are the only things I have in my tanks. I'm going to hope to get girl betta's and I'm planning on talking to my parents about upgrading if we have to. I've done some serious thinking and as much as I love the tanks I have now I have to think of the fish first. I just hope I can convince my mom. We're having problems with our bamboo already. My dad shook it and all this weird white crud came out of it.

#10 ·
Oh no. We're not planning on building a sorority. Not yet at least. We're giving them seperate tanks.

#12 ·
XD S'alright. I would like to have a sorority one day but not in a 2.5. There wouldn't be enough room for them all. Maybe one girl and some ghost shrimp but definietly not a sorority.

Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.