Betta Fish Forum banner

How to divide a tank?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Hershey 
#1 ·
I'm looking at dividing my new 5 gallon aquarium, what is the best way to go about it? I didn't come with any divider, what materials are the best for it?

#2 ·
There is a thread about it. But you get plastic craft mesh and plastic binder dividers, get the hard part of those and put them around the craft mesh and put them in your tank. They don't make an actual divider for a 5 gallon, pretty sure the smallest they make is for a 10. You might be able to google home made aquarium dividers and find the way I am talking about.

You could also get glass and aquarium silicone and divide that way, that's the best way to prevent your fish from getting illnesses from other fish

#3 ·
http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/diy-aquarium/diy-aquarium-tank-dividers-21866/
^How to make a craft mesh divider. ;)

I make all of my dividers this way, but with a slight variation. I use two sheets of craft mesh and double-up on it. This, IME, makes the divider more stable and straight. The bettas also seem to not be able to see each other as well, and therefore the process of them flaring at and getting used to one another doesn't last quite as long and isn't quite as intense.
I'm also a little more careful when fitting it, measuring and trimming a row or two so that the mesh fits snuggly without bending. This, I find, is just as stable and looks a little better aesthetically.

#6 ·
It can shift. I bought a whole load of air line tubing suction cups from the pet store and lined both sides with them. No shifting now. Some people will silicone them to there tank but that is permanent. Also make sure they are high enough over the water level so that the bettas cant jump them.

#7 ·
My 5gal tank is divided using the plastic mesh and report binders, it's been in there for almost a month now and only moves if I bump it when doing water changes. I doubled up on the plastic mesh (like DragonFish does) so my guys can't really see each other, so no excessive flaring. It does seem more stable too. Here's a photo of my set up.

#8 ·
We used a piece of plastic cut to the dimensions of our tank.

#9 ·
Can the fish see each other through the mesh? I have read some threads that say allowing them to see each other can stress them out. My LPS (not a petco/petsmart) said clear dividers are better as flaring is like exercise for them. Sounds reasonable as betta's are pretty lazy fish.

Im going to try using a white plastic cutting board. they are 1/4 inch thick and are super cheap at walmart $2.19. They can easily be cut with a hand/electric saw.

#10 ·
They can barely see each other, but most people on her put fake/real plants to help cover one side or both sides.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.