Betta Fish Forum banner

Prime question

576 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  LionCalie 
#1 ·
I got some Prime water conditioner today and I had been using Aqueon but now that I am starting to see a little nitrite I was wondering how I should do this.
I have a 5 gallon tank so should I go ahead and add the 10 drops of Prime to the tank now or just wait and use it for the water changes ?

I did a 50 percent change this morning because of showing .25 ppm nitrite using the Aqueon because I didnt know if the Prime was coming in the mail today or tomorrow.

The Aqueon detoxifies the ammonia only not nitrite or nitrate. So to be on the safe side should I go ahead and add Prime 10 drops per 5 gallon to the tank or wait and only add it for water changes only ?

#3 ·
If this is a fairly new tank it is just cycling. the ammonia raises first, then as those bacteria that break it down develop the nitrites raise.. cuase that is what those first bacteria are producing. Stay on top of the water changes till that levels out. May be a few weeks as they develop slower. More water conditioner is not as good as better water quality. Your half way there in cycling.. :-D

#5 ·
When i get on computer and home will do the math..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.