Betta Fish Forum banner

Prime question!

458 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  freemike 
#1 ·
So this ones for all us invert fans.
Does prime affect copper?
I know it will not remove copper atoms, thats impossible, but does it bind with copper in any way to make it inert and not have a negative impact on shrimp/snails?
To my understanding, prime has sulfer, which bonded with copper is still toxic to inverts. But is there anything else that could get rid of some copper?
>_< difficult question.

#3 · (Edited)
I'm more concerned of if there is a benefit. I think there might be some copper in my tap water, and prime "removes heavy metals", so I'm wondering if it can help shrimp by getting rid of copper.

Edit; nvm the prime bottle doesn't say this. I have a different conditioner that does though.

#4 ·
Edit; nvm the prime bottle doesn't say this. I have a different conditioner that does though.
According to the Seachem website, Prime will "also detoxify any heavy metals found in the tap water at typical concentration levels."

On another forum I saw where a Seachem rep said that Prime detoxifies heavy metals by changing them from an oxidized state to a reduced state. A standard dose will detoxify up to 2.6 ppm/10 gallons.

I don't have enough experience with shrimp to know if the reduced state of copper will still affect them negatively though, sorry.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.