Betta Fish Forum banner

When and how to change water

1K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  xjumperloverx 
#1 ·
I have a 10 gallon tank with just my one male, Blueberry and was wondering how often I should be changing the water and how you're supposed to do it?

I've been taking out like 50% of the water, just using a pitcher, once a week. Last week I took out all the water down to the gravel and then put all fresh water in. Should I be doing something different? Like do I need to take out all the gravel and plants and if so, how often?

#2 ·
Do you have a filter???

In my 10g tanks, I change about 30% of the water once a week, but my tanks are cycled.

I highly suggest getting a Gravel Vacuum!!! My Vacuum is my best friend. :) They are only 5-10 dollars.

#4 ·
I have a 10 gal too. I used to do about 20-30% wc, but now that my filter is clogged and I haven't been able to get media replacement, I've been doing about 50% changes a week.

Most of the water goes into bowls and buckets for holding the girls while I clean (then I dump out as much as I can before putting them back in), then I siphon out some more when I clean the bottom. I have very fine gravel, though, so I don't use a vacum. It's a huge help if you get one.

#5 ·
Here's a standard gravel vacuum
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752298&lmdn=Fish

Here's one that can be manually be primed as opposed to the "suck start" method. I use one similar to this that I bought locally. It's very easy to use.
http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2755281&lmdn=Fish

If you're filter cartridge is clogged and you can't get a replacement, you can use a hobby knife to cut the old pad from the plastic backing. Then pick up generic pad material from your LFS and cut it to fit the cartridge. Attach with unused fishing line and you're good to go.;-)

#8 ·
he should be ok, just keep doing his water changes. read up on the cycle link dramaqueen added for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.