Betta Fish Forum banner

Newbie: What's the best beginner's tank?

2K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  banana0217 
#1 ·
Hey guys :) I spent a ton of time reading the forums last night because I decided I wanted a betta and I want to take care of it properly. However, I'm still not sure what the best home for a betta would be. Here's a bit about my situation:

I am in college so I won't have a lot of space. When I'm in my dorm the only place I could put a tank would be my desk. For that reason I don't think I can go over 3 gallons and the best thing would be to have a tank that was big enough for the betta but didn't take up a lot of space - so I'm thinking something that is taller but has a smaller "footprint" if you will. I also don't want to spend a *ton* of money on the tank b/c I want to have enough money for the other things I'll need - like a heater, decorations, and all that stuff. So far I've looked at the Aqueon 2.5 gallon tank and the Top Fin 2 gallon "desktop" tank, and I've also considered just getting a large Kritter Keeper, but I don't know if the more frequent water changes are worth it (plus I don't know how I would provide a light source).

The other thing I would like advice on is the best way to transport the fish on my trip to school from my home and vice versa. It's about 800 miles, so that's around a 12 hour car trip.

Thanks in advance!

See less See more
#2 ·
I think I'm going to go with a medium Kritter Keeper, seems like it would be the best option for me for now. Thanks anyway!

#5 ·
That tank would be the best for transporting and keeping your betta. The thing I would worry about us keeping.him warm going to and from school.

If you are at college a 5 gallon glass tank actual doesn't take up a whole lot of space.

#6 ·
I'm in a dorm, and I got a baby biorb for my birthday. But when we got Derpy we just used a 2.5 gal tank, no hood or light or anything. It was really cheap and when I went away for spring break I took Goblin home in it. It fit perfectly behind my seat in my car, to avoid potential spillage I put the lid on it and stuck the tank in a plastic bag. :)

#7 ·
For those of you who live in dorms...what did you do with your fish over winter break? I hadn't thought about this before, but I'll be home for almost a month and I don't really have the money to pay for bringing it on the airplane. This makes me sad because now I'm thinking I won't be able to get a fish, and I was really excited about it :(

#8 ·
I keep both bettas (though I only have one right now) and tarantulas, and my house is full of kritter keepers of various sizes that I use for both species.

Kritter keepers are great for transporting. I stay with my boyfriend on weekends and it's about half an hour by car each way. I use the keepers to move both my fish and my 4 t's (separately!). Another option for transportation is either deli cups or small plastic containers - melt a few holes in the lid with a hot nail for air and you're good to go. ;-)

Re filtration, with kritter keepers you need a high enough temp (78-80). I use 10w submersible heaters in my 1-3 gal keepers when room temp isn't enough. I've never had problems with melting plastic so far.

If you want to cut down on the water changes you can get 2-5 gal acrylic aquarium kits including power filters. I have a 2-gal (marina explorer) that was originally on my desk at the office. I've run it for years. It has a "bio-wheel" filter which has never made a sound. Doesn't have a light, though, and no place to put one. I'd recommend another model because of this.

In a 2-gal I change the water 50 - 75% twice a week. I'd suggest that even with this filtered setup you get a testing kit for ammonia (if not a master kit). It's a good way to establish the best water change schedule to minimize stress on your fish. IMO a master kit will pay for itself in fish which would have been lost to toxins built up in the water.

#9 ·
Thanks for the advice! I originally thought summer transportation would be my problem, but now I realize that's not it at all - that part is relatively easy since I'll be travelling by car. My real problem now is what I would do over winter break. I suppose I could try to find someone who could do water changes and feeding over the break?

#11 ·
Yeah, I did read about that, but honestly for going both ways that would get really expensive. Almost like having to transport another person. I guess I'll probably just have to do without. I wouldn't want to cause the poor thing undue stress because of my situation.

#12 ·
Hmm... all I can think of is to get a somewhat larger tank (maybe a 5-10 gal hex), do a water change right before you leave, and use the vacation aquarium blocks which contain slow-release food and chemicals that help the water quality. I've used those before when I went away for a week.

#13 ·
OK, this is gonna sound odd, but is there any chance you could leave your fish with someone who's going to be staying? Maybe offer to pay then a little something?

Or, even crazier, have you thought of a pet sitter? Maybe you could post something on Craigslist to see if anyone woul dbe interested for a modest fee? (You could offer to pay 1/2 up front and 1/2 when you pick him up *alive*.)

IDK, just some ideas.

#15 ·
If I could find someone I knew, that would be ideal.

You know, I volunteer at the local animal rescue league almost weekly. They don't usually have fish there, but do you guys think they would be willing to look after a betta for a couple of weeks?

#16 ·
Well, when I moved cross country we brought my old better fish on the plane in a glass mason jar. Then again that was before the hole " not allowed liquids on planes" thing. The flight attendants kept asking if he was alright and he stayed in the jar for a month until his bowl got shipped with the rest of our stuff. It is optimal , of course but it wasnt long term. ( we didnt kno anything about betta's back then so we didnt heat his bowl..)

#20 ·
The tank - is exactly what I bought a few days ago. It would work. Here's a thread I started asking people here what their impressions of this model are.

The kritter keeper: If you're not planning on moving the fish with you when you travel, you could get it - or you may as well get either a glass aquarium of similar size or a tank setup like the one above. Plain glass aquaria can be quite reasonably priced, then you just choose a filter, hood etc.

#19 ·
I'd say get a bigger critter keeper and get a cheap, low-flow filter for it, like a hyrdo-sponge maybe. I think it would end up being cheaper in the long run.

I'm keeping betta fish in a dorm/res hall type place, too, so hit me up if you want to chat about anything specific relating to keeping them in that kind of environment. =]

#21 ·
Thanks everyone! I'll probably think about it for a while before I do anything just to make sure I can make it work. You guys have been very helpful :)

#22 ·
Just make sure you stay away from fish whilst you are deliberating, or there is a good chance you won't be able to help yourself. :p

If you do get a 5 gallon with a filter (a little sponge filter will do) and do a 100% change before you leave and a 100% change when you come back, he'll be fine in terms of water quality. Not ideal, but he'll be ok. Having someone to feed him once or twice a week (make sure you measure out the amount of food he needs, or changes are they WILL overfeed him), he'll be ok for sustenance too.

#23 ·
My mom says she doesn't want any more pets in the house (we have one cat), even a fish, so it's a no go for me ;_; Thanks for all the advice anyway guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.