Betta Fish Forum banner

Chickens?

5K views 54 replies 17 participants last post by  TheJadeBetta 
#1 ·
Anyone here have chickens? Personally I have 21 or 22...I can never get my count right. Anyways if you have any what breeds?
I have
black sex links
reds
barred rocks
and silkies

Post pics!

#3 ·
My boyfriend and I want to live out in the country someday with a handful of chickens! I can't see us ever needing more than four or five though, we'd just be using them for egg and as pets. There are some mornings when I just don't feel like eggs for breakfast, so I wouldn't want to have so many that we got overloaded! But I do love the idea of having eggs from my own chickens! :) :) I forgot the breed we wanted, but it was a good balance between friendly and being a good layer.

#4 ·
We actually live in town on 1 acre. They are raised for eggs and pets. They make great pets the biggest problem is it's best not to get to attached. Its okay, but you have to know the risks like disease and predators.
We actually sell our eggs as we get a dozen on average a day sometimes less or more. All depends on who layed the day before and the weather.
I recommend the speckled sussex. I have 1 forgot to mention. She is a sweetie. She is good at laying and always runs up to greet me when I go outside or to their run.

#6 ·
Yeah we hope to get some to eat in the near future. But we have a fox lurking around and it makes me nervous that it might get some of my hens. I have become attached to a few of them.
I just don't see rabbits as being food. They are just so cute and seem like pets..

#9 ·
#15 ·
... I don't have chickens... But saw cute lil' button quail o_O looked like white chicks :lol: the store owner has a farm... he gets pheasants, chickens, quail, in his store to sell o.o

#16 ·
Aww I am so glad that the local farm store I buy my feed from doesn't have chicks in store. I would be in trouble lol
We are trying to buy more property then I can get more chickens!

#18 ·
We used to have around 10-12 hens and a couple of roosters. Unfortunately, a fox (we are in the middle of the suburbs) got in and killed every single chicken except for the mum and her three chicks locked in their house.

Now we only have the three chicks (very much grown up now) left. The two roosters decided one day they hated each other so one lives by himself and the other lives with his sister.

This is a photo of dad Brutus and his harem (RIP). Brutus was hand-reared and one of those roosters who would kill you soon as look as you. Unfortunately for him, he was all of maybe 12 inches tall haha.

We aren't supposed to have roosters here, but these guys were a sort of oops hatching so until someone says something they shall stay.

#19 ·
Dont currently have any as our current city ord doesnt permit them on less than a acre sized property and then your restricted to just 6 hens max per an acre.

As it stands now I am engaged with a few neighbors in an effort to petition city hall for a change in the Regs to permit this on smaller parcels. Should that fail, Ill resort to about 4-6 ducks instead to supply me with eggs since the regs dont prohibit that specifically.

In the past I have had several Plymouth Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds and usually did 2-6 lots of 25 Cornish Rock Crosses for the freezer. There aint too many things in this world more tastey that "farm fresh" eggs and Fryers for the dinner table. The best part is I know what is in my food and dont have to worry about chemical contamination or bacterial contamination of my food supply. Grasshoppers, Ticks and other bugs werent a problem around the homestead either! Plus I have always had a strong desire to be more self suffcient.

#21 ·
My sisters and I incubated three Barred Plymouth Rock eggs and two hatched! We raised them for a couple of month and then gave them back to the farmer who gave us the eggs. He has a flock? of BPRs but he can always tell which hens were the ones we gave him because they're very friendly and they jump on his back when he's feeding the chickens. Their names are Spatch and Cluck Cluck. We also incubated Peking ducklings for him named Pedackadoo and Squeegle.

#22 ·
I have about 20-23 chickens.
3 Jersey Black Giant Roosters
<7 Jersey black giant Hens
1 Americauna X Coukoo Merans Roo
2 Leg Horn Hens
1 Austolorp Hen
1 Coukoo merans Hen
2 Americauna Cross Hens
2 Bantem Cochins

#23 ·
I LOVE chickens. :) My friends just don't understand. They have such varied personalities and are so entertaining. I used to raise them and show them for 4-H. Now my mom has taken over the flocks. We have two flocks with one rooster each. I've lost count since I no longer live at home, but I know we have wyandottes, americaunas, bantam cochins, and a couple other bantams. They're for eggs and pets only. I have two girls left over from 4-H who just turned 7 years old. One still lays an egg occasionally. :)

#24 ·
Haven't checked this lately!

My friends also don't understand and they are amazing pets. Unfortunatly we have had some trouble with a fox who has gotten 4 of my hens. Also some of my younger unsexed chickens are showing their gender. 2 turned out to be roosters and the third is unknown. I love my barred rocks especially my one rooster he is a sweety and the other one twigs who I still don't know the gender of. Praying for a female. Also hoping to get some new chicks in the next few weeks!

#26 ·
Got some baby chicks! Just thought I would show them off here! One of the feed stores I go to will be getting in some Speckled sussexes, Brahmas and I think cochins the end of March. Really hoping to go get a few more!
We got six babies, but one of them got trampled over night and died. Poor babies freaked out the first time the flash went off and went and huddled in that corner.

The two yellow ones next to the blacks are buff orpingtons, the black ones are Astralorps and the small one in a Deleware. Hoping all turn out to be hens.

#30 ·
OMG these are adorable <3 I don't know if anyone else has tried this, but when I raised chickies for my grandma, if I put my hand in at about their height, and spread out my fingers, they'd all huddle under my hand, with their heads sticking through my fingers and fall asleep. <3 It was priceless.

#28 ·
Upon closer inspection he does look like a mille fleur, but his coloring reminds me of a sussex. Very handsome boy regardless actually all your chickens look very pretty!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.