Betta Fish Forum banner

BFbW #2: “Species Spotlight”- Nerite Snails

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  MaisyDawgThirteen 
#1 ·
“Species Spotlight”- Nerite Snails
By MaisyDawgThirteen

Where are they found?

Nerite Snails are found in the Caribbean Islands and Florida. 
What kind of water is good for this species?

They are highly adaptable, and can live in freshwater, brackish and marine as in the wild they often transfer to different bodies of water. Nerites cannot breed in freshwater, so you will not be able to breed in most tanks. Like all snails they prefer hard water.

Can they escape from the tank?

Yes. Nerites are known to escape from the tank. It is said that when happy and comfortable they will not escape, and if uncomfortable in the habitat they will escape. I have never witnessed my Nerite escape, but definitely keep your tank tightly shut. They can survive after escaping, simply pick them up and plop the snail back in the tank.

What do they eat?

Nerites eat mainly algae (and they eat a ton of it!), but will eat some un-eaten food from the fish.
How do they get along with other fish?
Nerites are very peaceful, and are extremely docile. They are compatible with any fish that will not attack them.
What size are they?
About ½ -1 inch.

Are they colorful?

Yes. Nerites come in many different patterns. The most common is a yellow/black zebra pattern (Zebra Nerite), and there is also a red/yellow Nerite with black spots in a "tire track pattern (Tracked Nerite). I own a Tracked Nerite.

Do they make good tank-mates for bettas?

Yes. In my opinion, they are the best invert tank-mate. They have the docile nature of most snails, are small, cannot breed, and they cannot be pecked at as their antenna stay underneath the shell most of the time. I keep my Nerite with a male betta in a 5 gallon tank

What is the minimum tank size for Nerites?

In my opinion 5 gallons is the minimum, but you could go down to 3 gallons.

See less See more
#4 ·
I'm not sure on apple snails, I will do some more research. None of the common freshwater snails are hard to care for. It really comes down to is who can breed, who can't breed, who poops a lot, and who doesn't poop a lot. Nerites can't breed in freshwater, and don't poop nerly as much as an apple snail.
Nerite, zebra I think.
Is it yours? ;) Definately a Zebra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.