Betta Fish Forum banner

Red Marble Dragon Spawn

7K views 91 replies 21 participants last post by  mernincrazy8525 
#1 ·
So I've decided to do my first spawn this weekend. I shall post pictures as often as possible, but my internet isn't working currently so it'll be probably every-other day.

Here's the couple:

I'll be moving the tank outside tonight, and stuffing it full of live plants. Then putting the pair together tomorrow afternoon. <3 Hopefully everything works out, and I've planned as much as I possibly can. I have back-up pairs ready to go if these two don't like each other. =3

See less See more
#3 ·
Sin has been leaving me bubble nests lately. I figured it was a hint to pick him. (I was having trouble deciding) And I absolutely love my girlie's personality, she doesn't have a name. Both of them seem very gentle. She's very shy, and he acts so gentle.

My tank is divided, so the boys flare at each other a lot, and do that little 'race back and fourth' thing while flaring. He just swims, doesn't flare unless its at his reflection. Such a personality. lol.

#5 ·
If your breeding tank is divided that is a huge problem. Also if your tank has decor or gravel, the breeding wont work because the pair will be distracted from spawning. Also, it wont work because the fry will go right through the divider.

Could you get a picture of the tank that the spawn is gonna be in?

#4 ·
That's awesome :D I'm trying to spawn my HM Plakat Glorfindel, but he is vicious and on top of that doesn't know what to do :( The first time I tried spawning him with Seras,my Platinum red dragon, she was being awesome and was totally ready but I ended up taking her out because he was going to kill her.

I really hope they spawn for you, both of them are so gorgeous XD

#10 ·
Oh I was talking about his personality in his regular tank, not the spawn tank. lol

My spawning tank is a barebottom 30G with tons of live plants, java moss, baby tears, etc. I'll post some pictures of the tank, wrapping and eggs. =D

And yep I got him from Smilebetta.

Everything went swimmingly. They courted, danced, not a SINGLE tear in either fin. And she actually did all the work picking up the eggs and putting them in the nest, he just made bubbles when they weren't wrapping.

After they were finished, I left her in there, because she still looked a little eggy. But no more wrapping occured, but he let her stick around the nest, and only chased her away once. It was adorable they were being parents, but I took her out, and last night it looked like he got some good need zzz's.

I do have one question. When the live plants, and them being outside. How long will they eat infurosia before I need to introduce live/other foods?

#12 ·
I live in the US. Would love to send you some fry, but sadly I wouldn't even know where to begin. I see a lot of people ask about it, we should figure some way to do it, find a transhipper who can or something

#15 ·
Thanks ^^ I live in IL, in a little town. =D Don't mind you askin' Haha.

I'd be happy to sell some fry. Depending on how many their are, I'll either jar and sell them seperately or do something similiar to what NIB did with her fry or guess depending how old they are when I sell 'em.

#17 ·
I think there is about 50ish eggs. =3 I'm mad at myself, I got all the way to McDonalds to steal their internet, set the lap top up before I figured out I didn't bring my memory card. -sigh- So I'll have to get pictures up tomorrow. lol.

#19 ·
About the infusoria, i loaded my 10g with plants for spawning, half the tank was covered top to bottom because my male was aggressive so i needed hiding spots. I also left half the tank gravelled for 2 weeks and planted before spawning so there was quite a buildup of infusoria. Once their eggsacks were absorbed they grazed on the infusoria for a week. Id put in a TINY drop of egg yolk if i seen a group not hunting a couple of times a day, if they didnt eat the yolk an hour later id see infusoria feasting on it and theyd eat those instead :)) It really depends on how many plants you have in and how long its been sitting. I waited till the 1 week mark to give bbs, and mostely used cultured infusoria along with what was in the tank naturally. One warning though, a dragonfly nymph snuck into my tank and ate alot of my fry, if you dont plan on leaving the male in once theyare freeswimming make sure you cover the tank somehow so a dragonfly cant drop its eggs in. The nymphs are devistating D;

#20 ·
I have 8+ different types of plants in there, but several of each kind. One side is FULL, the other is bare. I also have the top covered with a screen, do you think they could still get through should I add something else? lol I don't want to lose my babies!

I'm curious how do you make egg yolk/powder for them to eat? You can PM me.

#21 ·
I would think a screen would work well, i doubt a dragonfly would try to drop eggs through a tiny opening of a screen.
For the egg yolk id basically hardboil an egg, cut it in half, take about a peasized amount of egg yolk from the center then put it in a ziplock that had about 1/4 cup of water in it, then id squish and swoosh it around until i didnt see any chunks of yolk, only cloudy water. When id feed it id only dip my fingertip into the ziplock egg yolk then dip my finger into their tank. It falls incredibly slow so it gives them plenty of time to eat it. Id always drop in a similar spot so i could go back and siphon it out later on but usually they ate it/these nematodes that grew in my infusoria culture ate it, then theyd eat them so it wasnt too messy, but i kept a close eye on the ammonia just in case. I could keep the ziplock refrigerated for 3 full days before tossing it (just in case) but i read it will stink when it goes bad. Mine never went bad before i threw it out.

#22 ·
That's good, I have lots of eggs so I think I'll whip some up. I have a MW culture, and Attison's (SP) Betta Fry Starter from IBC website, where I got my regular pellets and Betta Pro. =3 Doesn't hurt to have more of a variety. I think I'm going to order some BBS eggs as well.

#23 · (Edited)
Sounds like they will have a nice amount of infusoria as well :D I started off with about 50 fry, i think thats why i decided to do the finger dip egg yolk, some people use a dropper but i think thatd be too much for 50.
I made the mistake of buying decapsulated nonhatching brine shrimp eggs so i had to rush an order in for live at the last minute but it worked out fine since they had so much to start off with anyways. Now two weeks later i can put in the non-hatching bbs and they still go for it off the ground. Id try the microworms at least once in the beginning though, ive heard so many good things about it as a starter food, i wish id had some as well. The nematodes i had cultured worked out well in place of them but the real thing is better im sure :) They are going to be amazingly beautiful, you wont have problems homing them for sure :)
Edit: a quick google search turned up that microworms ARE nematodes lol, i had them growing in my tank naturally and didnt realize they were the same thing xD The fry LOVED those worms from freeswimming on, definitely try those out :)

#24 ·
I'm very excited to see the fry. And I think I'll be leaving him in the entire time, he's done so good, and he is sleeping in the mean time, so I know he's getting some rest.

I'm trying to patient but of course I'm excited. Haha

#25 ·
lol My face was pasted against the glass for a week it seemed like
-wipes tank prints-
I removed my male when i couldnt find the fry but hed actually moved them to the plants so they could hunt better, once i removed him i realized. Anyways he managed to sneak two into his mouth and into his aftercare tank and is being a good daddy to them. If i ever bred him again id do the same. Plus if you leave your male in he will eat those dragonfly nymphs >=[ Great advantage! Just keep an eye on him and make sure hes spitting them up and not in :p

#26 ·
Well, last night I went to check on him, and there are 3 fry already hatched! Is that early? There are still A LOT of eggs, the fry would sink a little then swim right back up into the bubbles. Super excited!

#27 ·
Pictures as promised! We're up to about 6 fry. Still up in the nest but swimming a little. =D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.