Betta Fish Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spongebob decoration warning

13K views 70 replies 31 participants last post by  AyalaCookiejar 
#1 ·
I believe the brand is Penn Plax. This isn't a question but I would like to warn people on this decoration (the specific decoration is the pineapple house from Spongebob).

I recently found exposed metal on this decoration that went undetected because it was covered by the paint, that chipped off. I also noticed places rusting on the inside of the decoration... More exposed metal. Just a warning that although these are advertised as safe for aquariums, it seems that they use metal in the internal structure (or maybe I just got a defective product).

Rust causes toxins in the water so please check your decor closely! I have removed this decoration and WILL NOT get another. My poor fishy is obviously feeling better after removing the decor and a large water change :(

#5 ·
I have a tiki man from Penn Plax and the paint chipped off rather easily. I saw where that is a problem with some of their products. I guess I should've read more closely. It's a shame because they have some really cute decorations....

#4 ·
Nope, I've had the Squidward house for over a year. I think the paint is also different... My other penn Plax spongebob decor also seems to chip easily but it looks like the spongebob house has metal framing. It was sticking out of the green leaves part at the top. For some reason, penn plax seems to use different types of materials depending on the decoration... But if you see any brown on it, try scrubbing it off and see if you see metal underneath. I found it in a few places on the pineapple house. I am definitely not happy and will be contacting them.

#8 ·
I've had a time with their products! Anything that's not that ruff paint (like on Squidward's house) ends up chipping, changing pH, or having metal in it. Nasty products they have THAT'S for sure! Not wasting any more of my money of them!
Posted via Mobile Device

#9 · (Edited)
I'm pretty disappointed, because DaBaDee's tank is spongebob themed... I don't really like spongebob but when I get a new decoration to put in there, it's not going to go along with my theme. *Sigh*

But there's been some other decoration ideas including a few homemade ones that I've seen that I thought were neat, so now I have an excuse to try them out :p Plus, I have some aquarium safe silicone that needs to be put to use.

Edit: and yes, I wrote them a nice e-mail saying what happened and that my betta and I are NOT pleased, and I will no longer be a customer and am passing it along to as many people as I can. I don't understand how you can make a decoration with metal in it and advertise it as aquarium safe and not get in trouble (like those stupid betta hammocks).

#10 ·
This one?

Intersting. I have had it for over 2 years and the paint is not chipping..

however whatever decor petsmart sells - the paint is all bubbled and cracking off of the beehive decoration:evil:

#11 ·
Yeah, that one. The paint didn't chip until after I tried scrubbing it, but the Gary ornament I have is half bald. -_- I've not had problems with the squidward tiki house thankfully, because its DaBaDees favorite.

#22 ·
If you have one of these things too there's metal on the inside, because on the bottom of mine there's nothing but rust.
That one messed with my pH too! Gave me a nasty spike -_- Now, it isa very colorful pencile holder
;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

#23 ·
That's a good idea.. to use a magnet.. but GEEZ all of them? That's scary.. now I'm worried about that castle :( I e-mailed the company.

Btw brown spots can also be brown algae.. it's common in certain places.. I have it here because it's in our drinking water in large quantities.

#17 ·
I'm glad the only decor I decided to put in my sorority tank was silk plants. I'm planning on putting a terracotta pot or a ceramic something or other in to replace the spongebob house.

I also have one of those rainbow cave things in my other males tank :( he's blind so I really didn't want to move the decor around.

#19 ·
I didn't either, because it was under the paint. I looked at one at Walmart last night and didn't see exposed metal, so I think mine may have been defective. I also don't know if metal is a problem inside the structure of the decoration, but it does seem that metal is used as an internal frame.

#20 ·
oh no that really sucks, my new tank build is all sponge bob, but it is the crusty crab not the house.
I am no it worries me about what i put in my tanks, and especially my shrimp tank.

I don't recall any of the older tank decor containing metal, but i guess they are getting cheaper as in material and more expensive as in price for poor merchandise.. ie crap :-(

maybe there should be a warning thread for problem fish products.

#21 ·
It sounds like they are pretty much all problem products. :p I really don't want to break the decoration but I guess I could to see if it rusted inside the decoration.... If the paint chips you would be able to see the metal if it were exposed. It also chips off metal easier than it does the rest of the decoration, but the easiest way to tell if its rusting is to look for any brown spots on the decoration. That is what made me notice it... And there were brown spots in a few places but most of them were very small.

#24 · (Edited)
Hey, if anyone is a member of the main forum (bettafish.com is actually a subforum of tropicalfishkeeping.com ) I would love a hand from someone who had a bad experence with one of these products. I started up a thread in "Aquarium Products Reviews" titled "Dangerous or Amazing Tank Decor Reviews" and I need reviews and testimonials. I want to have data on good and bad decor all in one place.
Posted via Mobile Device

#25 ·
Technically we are all members of the main forum. The log in works on both sites, but I've only posted on TFK once asking about my brothers loaches since I only keep bettas.

#30 ·
Plus, you never know what kind of chemicals could have absorbed into the pots in transit :shock:
Posted via Mobile Device

#32 · (Edited)
Penn Plax has been notified and customer service is sending the information on to corporate.

Is it just the pineapple at this point? Has anyone been able to check other ornaments using a magnet?

ETA: So the squidward also has metal? What magnet was used?

This user had no attraction, so wonder if the problem is not with all or the magnet used was not as strong? http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=126921

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.