Betta Fish Forum banner

Is this fin rot? (Picture) Please help!

620 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Mabes 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

I moved my betta to a new tank a couple weeks ago, and recently his fins have looked clear at the ends. He had black ends on his fins when I got him so I was cautiously watching the black parts, but today I noticed a small chunk-like part taken out of his fin. Hoping you guys can help me tell if it is fin rot!

He's alone in his tank so it can't be a bite. I recently did a complete water change because I was worried about fin rot. I use chemical balancing stuff and right now he's got bottled water, not tap, in his tank.

If it IS fin rot, how do I fix it? I've seen some arguments online about how you treat fin rot...so I'm confused. Some say medicine, some say just keep changing the water.

Advice please?

See less See more
#2 ·
Love the reds..

It actually is a bite, made by him- you would be surprised at how many bettas will bite their own fins.
The black edging looks too neat and clean to be rot- and especially if he had it when you got him. Clear fins at the edges is actually new fin growth, which looks like he has had some over the past few weeks.

Bottled water is actually not a good ideal to use in aquariums, as it lacks the proper nutrients and minerals needed. The filtration process removes them- so for a healthier fish, ideally just tap water and water conditioner is needed.
What sort of chemical balancing stuff are you using? Some can cause changes in the chemistry that can cause the fish to go into shock- so normally not a good ideal to use either, depending upon what it is and the size of the tank, and the cycle process.

So for now, I suggest doing some water changes- 25-50% each daily over the next few days to remove the chemicals you have placed in there, and filling it with tap water and water conditioner only.

Unsure the tank size, filter, etc so can't recommend a water change routine- but just keep up on the weekly water changes to make sure that he doesn't develop fin rot.

As for treating- in some cases, just continuous clean water will treat it, and depending upon advancement, AQ salt or medication would be used.

#3 ·
Thank you for the thorough response!

To answer some of your questions...

I use Kordon AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier and NovAqua Plus Water Conditioner when I do water changes. I've used these for about 2 months now so it shouldn't be that they're new to him.

I have this tank and the filter that came with it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0069RR2CC/ref=oh_o04_s00_i00_details

He's very well adjusted to the tank and seems happy...swims a lot and rests on his betta hammock...responds to his own reflection and to my finger...he knows that I feed him every morning so he'll come up to the surface to say hi.

I can't believe he'd actually bite himself :( I didn't know that Tap water would be better, I'll switch back to that!

#4 ·
Welcome :)

I would just use one or the other, since they both remove ammonia/chlorine/chloramine.. The NovAqua Plus does a lot more- but both cover the chemicals that need to be removed. So I would stick with just one, personally.. why double up on a few of the ingredients when it won't make the water any safer? Just adds more chemicals into the water.

Nice tank, love it.. I'm glad he is doing good overall, it's nice when it turns out to be nothing and the fish is healthy and happy overall in the end :) And yes.. tail biting is bad. I can't get a clear pic of my tail biter, as he never sits still.. ever. But his tail is halfway gone, and he's a VT as well.

Looking forward to more pics in the future!

My biter, Butters.. somehow he finds enough time to stop to bite his tail.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.