Betta Fish Forum banner

30 Gal male + sorority

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  broncosfan84 
#1 ·
so i have the 30 gal kingdom set up (lots of castle decor) with lots of plants and im wondering whats the best way to add a sorority to the tank.

i already have the male in the tank and he has taken to it nicley. (appart from being a picky eater)

i am going to try adding females to the mix because i love the way bettas swim and act. i just want to do this safley. ive seen several videos about putting them in the tank for a few hours with some kind of divider or other thing where the male cant get to them.

whats the best way to accomplish this? and how many females should i add? i was thinking somewhere between 4-7 for the alpha and subs.

#2 ·
Males and females should not be mixed together, you might get away with the females only. In a 30 gallon you could have at least 10 females if you have plenty of hiding places, not just talking about cave like places but more like plants, either fake or real your choice.

#5 ·
Even if you manage to get siblings, I still wouldn't add them to a tank with a male. OldFishLady has successfully managed it, but her bettas are the results of multiple generations raised together. The most likely outcome of your scenario would be the females ganging up on the male and harassing him to death. Definitely either stick to a sorority or a male, not both.

#13 ·
if you get a pleco, make SURE it's a bristlenose, they're the only readily available species that don't grow gigantic.

#15 ·
platies are hit or miss with bettas, we've got three who live in our sorority with no problem, but before they were there we'd tried several male bettas, and they would always attack the platies due to their bright coloration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.