Betta Fish Forum banner

Baby Betta...

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  metalbetta 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Everyone! So my new Betta, Penfold is still a baby. He's only as big as 2/3 of my pinky, about 1" without his fins. (Don't know how old he is, really.) How much should I feed him? Is one pellet in the morning and one at night enough, because he's so small? Or should I feed him more cuz he's still growing? :thankyou:

#3 ·
Well, Penfold is tiny compared to my other Betta that I just lost. Dobby was probably about 2 years old, I'm guessing? And he was nearly as big as my thumb. Penfold is only half that size, he's only 1" long and as thin as my pinky. And I do have small hands and extra small pinkies, there's always a good amount of empty glove on my pinky fingers.

#4 ·
Oohhh I thought you mean he was as long as a pinky.

Gosh, he is sure tiny then. Most likely young, as I have a young female that is the size you describe Penfold. I have average sized hands, and my betta is a bit smaller than my thumb, so Dobby's size sounds right to me. What I have been doing for her is give her one pellet, let her eat in, then wait a few seconds. I repeat until I can SLIGHTLY see her tummy. There should barely be a curve. I feed her the New Life Spectrum Betta food, so this equals out to about 3 pellets in the morning and 1-2 at night, although today no one got food since it was fasting day.

#9 ·
He's still a growing juvie...Personally I feed my juvies large amounts of frozen bloodworms...not to make them pop but to make them look full. Lots of clean water, good food, and warm temps will get him to grow.

#11 ·
Thanks everyone, for your replies! :-D

Penfold's tummy gets big so fast!! And he "hiccups" after he eats. Sits there, and his head jumps up a few times.

#14 ·
I've handled two juvies so far... One currently in my care. Mew was just a baby when I got her, and I fed her one crushed Wardley's pellet a day until she was big enough to join my sorority. Now she's full grown, and a little piglet at that.
Delilah, my newest girl, is a tiny little thing. She's bigger than Mew was, but not by much. She can handle 2 New Life Spectrum pellets a day without looking bloated so far.
Baby bettas are awesome to care for and watch grow! Good luck with your new fish!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.