Betta Fish Forum banner

Male with Sorority ? & other fish ?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  xMandy 
#1 ·
I went to the LFS and they have a heavily planted tank that has a male and 3 females and several other fish. Is this a possibility ? If so, I'd love to do this.

I have a 16G and my ideal situation would be to put a male betta and 5 females and a school of black ruby tetras, and perhaps some bottom feeders (maybe featherfin catfish) Is this possible ???

Here's the tank, obvioiusly I will plant it more heavily. This is just a start.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Jessabell,

I named him Emerald because in the cup he was green. I put him in the tank above, and he turned BLUE. Then I took a picture (here) and he looks green again. If you saw him in the tank, you'd think he was just like yours... I like the blue better than the green. He only looks green in photos. He must be some weird blue-green color.

#5 ·
Dont keep males and females together. Males will pick on the females and vise versa. My stepdad tried it in his 40g and the female got a good chunk out her fins.

#6 ·
Nearly everyone if not everyone period on here will tell you not to keep a male with females. With that said, I'm going to be the oddball out.

A single male with females can work in a large enough space with enough plants and hiding places. With that said, what seems to be a good, working thing at first can take a sharp turn at any point and you could end up with a dead fish or two, or three... or more. If you're one to take risks and chances or have the will to watch them like a hawk and have the ability to provide them the proper care... go for it!

#7 ·
OK - I guess a male with females isn't a great idea. What tankmates could I put with the male pictured ? I guess the ruby tetras would not be a good idea because they'd nip his fins ? Can I put featherfin catfish in there ?

I'd like to have additional colorful fish that are larger.

#8 ·
Common tank mates for males would be platies, dwarf frogs, cory cats, or neon tetras.
I don't know what kind of large fish you could put in a 16g that are colorful and ok with males....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.