Betta Fish Forum banner

getting 20g tank, what should i put in it?

1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  Go5923 
#1 ·
a while ago i had a betta that died because he was sick straight from the pet store, and it may have been from me keeping him in such a small tank... my brother is giving me a pretty decent 20g tank with a filter and everything and i was wondering what kind of fish, how many fish so its not so crowded etc im not really sure, im new to this whole thing lol any help would be nice, thanks

#2 ·
Well, you'll need to cycle it first :) this takes 4-6 weeks, which will give you lots of research time :lol:

In a 20, you could have danios - they come as long fin, short fin, leopard and zebra - generally cheap, but will need a heater. They do best in groups of 4-6 or more.

There are also neon tetras, skirted tetras, barbs of all sorts... :lol:

My question is... what do you like? fast or slow fish? colors or some...interesting fish (blind cave tetra :eek: )...?

#3 ·
xD Guppies.

or, you know, a large awesomely decorated betta home for one lucky betta and some plants. >.>

Is it a 20long or 20 tall.

#5 ·
theres a lot you can do with a 20g, you can do a community tank with some fish that interest you, a lone betta and some compatable community fish, a female betta sorority, you could divide it multiple ways and have multiple bettas, i'd say you're pretty lucky! start a cycle on it first, you'll have lots of time to decide what you want

i'm cycling a tank for the first time also and using this website:
http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/fishless/fishless.html

there is also a guide to cycling in a sticky here... i believe it's the betta care thread

#6 · (Edited)
i like the slower more colorful fish, they look alot cooler haha but tetras and stuff are cool though its a 20 long and, ill check out how to cycle the tank and everything, i wanna make sure its perfect.. im so excited haha to finally get my betta a nice big tank instead of watching him all bored in this tiny bowl, i feel so bad :p

edit: now that i think about it i actually wouldnt mind having any fish, slow and fast they all look really cool haha

#12 ·
In general, males have longer fins than females. However, there are some fin varieties (plakat, halfmoon plakat) in which males have short fins. The one sure way to tell is to check out the ventral fins (the two fins that hang down). If they are long and thick it's a male. If they are short and stubby, it is a female. If you can get him or her to flare, see how he or she flares. Males flare sideways to look bigger, and females flare facing their reflection.

As for cycling, http://www.fishlore.com/NitrogenCycle.htm has great information. :) When it comes time to stock it, you could have a variety. Cory cats can be kept in groups of 4 or more along with eaither tetras (they need about 6 or more but do very very well in the bigger tanks) or platies (you just need a ratio of 2 females to one male or all one gender). :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.