Betta Fish Forum banner

New Shrimp with my Betta

1K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  eMel 
#1 ·
Yep, I got some new ones... and they are huge! Huge enough so that the betta didn't try anything with them when he spotted them. Oh, and I got picked up four new java ferns as well this week. Sorry about the water spots, though. I really need to clean those off!

See less See more
#3 ·
Everyone gets along, surprisingly. The betta occasionally chases a cory, but he never flares at them anymore and he's left the shrimp completely alone. About the worst thing is that the betta will, when I feed everyone, stand guard over the pellets I drop for the corys, but I got around that by dropping them in two different spots. I've inspected the corys and seen no wounds, so it looks like peace is reigning in my tank. :)

#5 ·
Oh, there's nothing 'little' about these behemoths. lol And they're still growing! Just before I made this post, I noticed something shrimp-shaped on behind the castle and saw that one had molted already and left some of his/her head armor-whatever!

#6 ·
Where did you get those bad-boys?! I wanted to get a shrimp or two for my betta, but since they're so tiny I figured he would eat them...but with shrimp that size I think he'd leave them alone...

#7 ·
My local Feeder Supply (in Kentucky and Indiana) got them special for me along with the plants. They were also surprised when they got them. The other ones they had gotten for me in the past had been maybe half their size, so I got really lucky. And these giants look like they're about the same mass as the betta, so he leaves them completely alone. Heck, I think the corys are the ones that actually bother them from their activeness.

#9 ·
Like the more exotic looking ones?

#12 ·
Any chance you can tell what mine might be from the pictures in the OP?

#14 ·
Indeed, a veil tail is what he is. I googled it and it was like looking at a bunch of clones of Sir Maximilian. Thank you. :)

#15 ·
I think I found the reason why the shrimp are so large: they're both females. And at least one of them had eggs when I bought them, so there may be interesting times ahead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.