Betta Fish Forum banner

Fin Rot or a tear?

581 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  LittleBlueFishlets 
#1 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons (upgrading soon ^-^)
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Not hooked up, but does have one if needed.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No.
Is your tank heated? Yes.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? TetraBetta Floating Mini Pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice daily (once per morning and once per evening). 2-3 pellets per feeding.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Twice weekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 100% and 50% changes.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? TetraAqua BettaSafe Water Conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Yes, however it was a "test strip", so it may not be 100% accurate but it says everything is in the okay range.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Just a single "rip/tear" on each fin.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He hasn't changed a bit.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A couple days ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I have not.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not at all.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Purchased him from Petco recently, so I'm unsure.

The story is: I recently purchased an Elephant Ear Betta and he's been absolutely fine. He's extremely active, eats like the Elephant that he is, and overall seems happy, however the other night I noticed that he had a "tear" on his right fin. It was only a single tear. I figured it'd be due to the fact that I had two plastic plants in the tank with him. This evening I went to Petco and purchased him some silk plants and did an 100% water change and noticed he had a tear on his left fin too. I'm just wanting to double check these are just minor tears that'll heal and not fin rot. His tank is and has been clean and the only two things that could contribute to his fins tearing and that was his two plastic plants (which are now in the trash) or his gravel.

Does it sounds like a simple tear or fin rot?

If I need to get pictures, let me know.

Thanks for the input!:)

See less See more
#5 ·
He's a pretty boy! :) It looks to me like he just tore them. I don't have an EE (Elephant Ear), but I've read that their "ears" can tear pretty easily.

I don't see anything that looks like fin rot or an infection. At this point, I'd just keep him in VERY clean water. (Your temperature is fine.) They should heal up quickly.

(If you notice discoloration or ragged edges developing, these would be signs that he may be developing an infection. So just keep an eye out for things like that.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.