Betta Fish Forum banner

Can a betta last out of water?

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  dramaqueen 
#1 ·
First of all, i do NOT plan on trying this. It was just one of those weird thoughts that i get.
So since Bettas breathe air rather than disolved oxygen in the water, does that mean bettas could techincally live out of water for a longer period of time than other fish? would you have to keep their scales wet?

lol, just a weird though i had. don't worry, i don't plan on EVER trying this...

#4 ·
As long as the betta remains damp, it may still live for some time. I had one that must have been out of the water for 20 minutes before I saw it and it survived.

#6 ·
I read a post somwhere once about a guy that came home from work to find his betta out of his bowl on the floor. He supposedly jumped out because he didnt have a lid on the bowl. He survived tho. I would have to agree that the issue would be the fish drying out, considering he shouldnt have a problem breathing. So i guess the real question is how long does it take a betta to dry out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.