Betta Fish Forum banner

Hey! I got a fish!

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  ChoclateBetta 
#1 ·
Hi I was just wondering if y'all could tell me some basic needs for a beta

#4 · (Edited)
heater at 80*, good quality pellet food like new life spectrum or omega one, water conditioner, and plenty of hiding places! thats basically it
Edit:: Oh and some frozen or live foods would be good for them to have once in a while, you might also want to have a first aid kit around, with some different medications, aquarium salt, and epsom salts (plain with no fragrance) just in case your new guy gets sick!

#7 ·
They're really bad.. It will be really stressful to them.
Keep the water really warm, and do your water changes. What's the exact tank size? Filters won't do everything.. Feed him daily, it's better to underfeed than overfeed. Make sure he has plenty of hiding spaces, and interact with him/her.
Welcome to the forum, and read the stickies! :)

#9 ·
another tip that might help you out, if you've got adequate lighting in your tank, you might wanna try your hand with some live plants. they're actually a good bit cheaper than silk plants (if you buy em right, if your LPS has a plant tank, get em from there instead of the overpriced ones in tubes) there are several species that require minimal extra care, and they will filter your tank's water naturally, leading you to healthier fish. beyond all that, they just look nicer than fake ones.

#10 ·
oldfishlady has a water changing schedule in the stickies. i consider this a necessity for your new friend. spend at least 20 minutes a day noticing behavior and any external injuries etc. this will often give you a heads up to any problems forming. you are lucky enough to have a wealth of knowledge at your finger tips. good luck. and welcome to the forum.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.