Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #161 
hrutan

He's gorgeous, yeah.
hrutan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:06 AM   #162 
Fenghuang

Procrastinating on homework, so I might as well update my journal!

I either reached another level or hit a new low in this hobby. Recently, I had a job interview (it went well and I got the job). Afterwards, I took a ride to a shopping center to just look around because I was getting antsy from being stuck on campus. Of course looking turned into looking around, going into Petco, finding, and buying a betta. Because, of course. I brought my new friend back and made sure he was nice and comfortable.

Saturday morning, I checked the temperature in my new boy's tank and noticed that it was kind of cold, so I hopped on the shuttle and rode fifteen minutes to another nearby shopping center where they had another pet store. Somehow in that span of time, I ended up in the checkout with another heater, another 10 gallon tank, some more plants, and some guppies. The cashier took pity on me because I had to ride the shuttle. She found me a cardboard box in the back and packed and taped everything up for me to carry back. My residential hall back on campus is a walk uphill from the shuttle stop and my dorm is up three flights of stairs. My arms were trembling so badly when I finally finished setting everything up. The things we do for fish. xD

New betta! He is a handsome partial dragonscale HMPK.

Oh, yeah, he has attitude too.

Some of dem guppies. The big red female is the only one with a name. She is Meredith.

They really like to photobomb.

Little guy I spotted in the feeder tank and had to have. I think he is a male.

Favourite male

"Um, do you mind?!"

Little guy thirdwheeling

Partial tank shot

Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:24 PM   #163 
Fenghuang

I woke up this morning and found a baby!

I think the mom is my half black female. She looks much less plump than she did. I spotted a sibling as I was about to run out the door to head to class, but that one got gobbled up by another female before I could catch it. I'm sure there were others, but in a tank with so many adults, they wouldn't have last long.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:15 PM   #164 
BettaLover1313

Your new boy and guppies are all quite pretty!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #165 
Fenghuang

Thank you. I haven't had guppies in a long time. They are really fun.

I do not believe I have shown these guys off yet. We adopted these two when a friend needed to rehome. One is a wild-type and the other is GFP leucistic albino. We don't know their sexes yet, but I named the wild-type Alice.

Sadly, in addition to new additions, I also have to report a loss. Ci got Aru, our oldest betta and first female, from Walmart less than a month after we got together (can you see my influence there? xD). She started off in a hastily set up 1 gallon plastic Walmart tank, but was quickly upgraded to a 5 gallon and soon after that, a 10 gallon. Later, she lived in a 20 gallon long, where she enjoyed top fish status (if only because all the others fled from her because she was so big). Although unremarkable in appearance, she was a wonderful fish. She saw us through so much and she will be sorely missed. Wish I had more pictures of her, but this one will have to do.

SIP February 12, 2012 - September 9, 2014

Old 10-01-2014, 01:08 PM   #166 
Fenghuang

This week has been kinda terrible for me. My assignments are kicking my butt, my midterms are kicking my butt (seriously, my GPA feels like it's flatlining...), I have been feeling really sick, everyone else is sick, and just other stuff I am too embarrassed to talk about. It does not even feel like my birthday today.

I made the decision to euthanize my newest betta that I just got from Petco. For the first week or so, everything was going great with my new setup, but then one of the Petco guppies I got with the PK started flashing and scratching against the plants and substrate and it just went downhill from there. I started treating everyone for external parasites and it was going well, and then I noticed one female was sulking and looked really emanciated, which I thought was weird because I just got them and did not see that before. She died the day after. After I fished her out, I saw some weird...stuff coming from two of the other females. I searched online and discovered they had camallanus worms. So, I have been treating them all for that. I have lost three more since, two in the same morning. They were all pregnant female guppies, so they were probably more vulnerable. Everyone else is active and eating. It is hard to tell though, because all the others were fine until basically right before their death, when they lost their appetite and started to hover near the surface, swimming in place and sulking.

And then there was my poor PK. He appeared completely unaffected by all the diseases, until late the other night when I was feeding them their evening meal and saw that he was not coming up to grab his portion of dinner, which was very out of character for him. Out of nowhere, he had developed a tiny speck of cotton-like fuzz on the base of his dorsal and was hiding. It was not there earlier that day. Next day, the fuzz had spread over a third of his body. The area affected had turned a graphite-y looking grey-black and he was swimming erratically and still had no appetite. Whatever the fuzz was, it was eating away at the poor fish. A few hours after that, I decided to euthanize him. It had somehow gotten even worse. It looked like he was carrying a whole cotton cloud on his back and his dorsal fin had completely deteriorated despite the fungus having started on his body.

I cupped him as gently as I could. He tried to swim away, but he could not maneuver as fast or as gracefully as he once did. He went really quickly. There was hardly any thrashing or anything like that.

The guppy trio from the other store is fine, at least. They aren't as flashy or anything, but so far it seems like they are healthier stock. I will not be going back to this Petco where I got the majority of the guppies and the betta though.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 10-01-2014 at 01:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:04 AM   #167 
DaytonBetta

I'm sorry, what a terrible time. I hope things start to look up for you!
DaytonBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #168 
Fenghuang

Thank you. I do hope so too. So far, I have no more guppy deaths.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:18 PM   #169 
BettaLover1313

I'm very sorry to hear about your losses :(

School has been kicking my butt too. I can't believe how busy my room mate and I have both been.
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 03:23 AM   #170 
Fenghuang

Thanks, BettaLover. Sorry about school. I can't believe how busy I have been either. I don't even feel like I am taking all that many credits, yet I have been averaging something like two hours of sleep a night recently and still feel like I am never done with work. Thank goodness I have a break coming up soon. I am really looking forward to it!

I have been wondering why my female guppies were not dropping any fry despite looking heavily pregnant and then...not. I was worried they were too sick. Well, I was changing the water today and found 11 guppy fry. They were so tiny that I did not see them until I removed all the floating plants and decor. I have no idea how old they are, but they are so adorable! It took me forever to catch them all and transfer them to the "nursery" box. I did not realize how much my single three week old and single two week old guppy fry have grown until I put these little guys in with them.