Betta Fish Forum banner

Marble HMPK Spawn Log :D

8K views 62 replies 10 participants last post by  marktrc 
#1 ·
Here is the pair I just started conditioning today, both Marble HMPK. I set up a 15 gallon with live plants and some IAL, tanks heated to 82 degrees and I am looking forward to spawning them in 2 weeks. My camera was messing up so I took a short video of the pair, sorry for bright lighting.

Please let me know what you think and your thoughts on my pair.

Click picture to watch video.:-D

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Vicky, I love them both to death!! Would you have time to meet up this weekend for the MW? I have been super busy so I apologize for not being able to meet with you last weekend.

Do you have experience with breeding marbles? What do you think they fry will look like?

#4 ·
Yes. I should be able to meet you this weekend.
I started your culture last night because the first one went bad... a fruit fly got in and resulted in larvae. YUCK!
Also I couldn't find my oatmeal LOL!
So your culture should be ready by the time your fry are old enough to eat them.

Your guys shoud produce very similar fish but without knowing their background it's hard to tell... marbles are a lot of fun!

#6 ·
I appreciate the culture so much! I do have one going but I don't know how good it actually is but a new fresh batch will be good to have!

Yes it is hard when I don't know their background, all I know is they are Thailand imports that I purchased through the Mn Betta Shop. If I were to get fry that looked like both of the parents I would be very happy :) I love that look of marbled HMPK's.

Also I have a DIY sponge filter but want to just go out and get one from a LFS, can you suggest any local places for me to check out?

#8 ·
Ok thanks, Junglist said he can get them at Sierra Fish & Pets. I go there often so I will pick one up this weekend. Thanks again!!

#10 ·
Ok I will try that tomorrow, thanks again for everything. I can't wait for this spawn!!

#12 ·
Hey Tan, that female is the same female I got when we both ordered from Mn Betta Shop. The male is also from Mn Betta Shop and I got him the last shipment. I got a better video of them both and she dropped a ton of eggs. I think she is a happy girl!

Click Picture To See Video

#14 ·
Yes I have them in the breeding tank apart from each other that way they can still be heater, I will be putting more live plants this weekend for the infusoria. Do you recommend something different?

#15 ·
Haha! It was getting confusing!

If your reason to place them in the tank is so they can share a heater, get a shallow plastic tub and fill it with a few inches of water, enough to cover the heater and place the beanies there.
It's not good for them to claim territory in the spawn tank because it may lead to aggression.

Yes, wait until the day you are ready to place them in the spawn tank to set it up. It will keep the water clean. Do place plants that day so infusoria starts to produce.

Once you have the tank set up, place the male in and the female in the beanie inside the tank. At this point you need to observe and be very patient. Wait until they demonstrate signs of readiness.
In a day or two you want to release the male, some people just plop them together but I'm always to afraid my HMs will hurt eachother fins (they are so pretty) so I wait until I'm ure they are ready.
After you release the female it can take days for them to spawn or it they could start in a matter of minutes.. every pair/spawn is different.

#16 ·
Okay good to know!! I will put them in a big plastic bin I have with the heater like you said. I will also take out the plants now and put in fresh water. My last spawn was pretty brutal but it was a pair of traditional fighter plakats so the male was really aggressive with the female. It took them 2 days before they were both ready. I am going to be doing it just like you said and place the female in the tank in her beanie while the male checks her out. Thanks for all of your help you are a doll :)

#18 ·
Okay check!!! I am also keeping a glass jar with plants by my window and it's already getting nice and green :) Thanks again your a complete sweetie!

#19 ·
So it's day 4 conditioning. I have been feeding Atisons Pro and live blood worms. My pair seem very active and healthy. I can't wait until the 3rd!!! I am so excited!

#21 ·
Hi Tan, I got them from Sierra in Renton. $2.99 a portion.

#23 ·
Thank you Sdragon, I plan to put them in the pawn tank Wednesday that way I have the weekend with them if they are free swimming.

#25 ·
I am going to take a ton of pics!!!

Reactions: dramaqueen
#26 ·
I would release the male in the spawn tank and the female inside a container in the tank on Wednesday, and release when you can supervise them. It'll give time for the male to build the nest, the pair to get ready, and the infusoria to grow. It's more important to be able to watch over the pair in case it gets too violent and you need to separate than it is to look over the fry.
That's my advise, I never do a spawn if I don't have the time to look over the pair so I usually will release the female on a Friday afternoon after I get home.
Can't wait to hear your results!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.