Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2015, 09:34 AM   #241 
litelboyblu

Cuteeeeee! Axolotls are lovely!
litelboyblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 11:19 AM   #242 
Fenghuang

Yeah, they are very cool critters. I really like them.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:52 PM   #243 
Pandoras

So some updates: the new babies made it back to Missouri safely, thankfully the weather cooperated with me because I had to drive back and attend class before I could get them setup in something temporary.

Cooked up some shrimp and divided up a shrimp between the three and they gobbled it up greedily. =]

We did lose the little yellow female, though. We're uncertain of what happened. I just found her dead in the breeder net. I had separated her because she was so freaked, but, when I found her this morning, her fins had been nipped and the other red girl had jumped in with her.

Does anyone have any tips for baby lotties?
Pandoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #244 
Fenghuang

I want to say the yellow/blue marble VT girl was just not that healthy to begin with. She was not much bigger than some Petco babies I've seen and was quite skinny. The stress from being packaged and shipped from whatever supplier to the LFS probably was too much. She barely moved from one location in the tank for hours at a time and hardly ate anything. Even when she was pulled her after the second day and placed in the breeder net, she was still lethargic and clamped.

The other five girls are like night and day from her. They're all so greedy when it comes to food. They also aren't timid at all and do not seem scared of each other and don't hide. I definitely think they are siblings.

I think it is just as likely she died overnight and it was a coincidence the red girl got in there... Sad, but you quarantine for a reason.

Yes, it'll also be nice if someone can give us an estimate of how old they are approximately. We adopted our two other axolotls from a friend and they were five months old and at a healthy weight and size for their age.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 03-17-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:01 AM   #245 
Fenghuang

All the other fish are doing great except my dalmatian import female. I am worried about her. I thought it was just stress from being shipped halfway across the world, but now? Poor girl has popeye? I did think right off the bat that one of her eye was wonky. Its iris is bright red and she swims around in tight circles to track down her food like she can't see too well out of one eye. Her aim when "going in for the kill" (don't worry, just pellets) is also off and she misses a lot.

I originally had 1 tsp per gallon of AQ salt in the water for all my imports plus IAL because one of the Thai sellers I bought from recommended I do that for QT and I have been reading a lot of good stuff about using a little salt from people (mainly Logisticsguy). I then added kanaplex to her water because she was sluggish and clamped and I was worried about the redness in her eye. She was doing a lot better after that and perked up. But then her red eye started to swell. It looks like she has a pocket of air or something under her eye, causing it to bug out. I have slowly swapped out her AQ salt for Epsom salt. She was getting daily half water changes in the mason jar. Now she has been moved to a Kritter Keeper, but I keep her water pristine still. But her eye doesn't seem to be getting better. It looks painful and that makes me really sad for her. I wish I could do more, but I don't know what else I can.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:06 PM   #246 
Fenghuang

My poor poor girl...

Old 03-19-2015, 01:12 AM   #247 
Pandoras

It's become so much worse, D:
Pandoras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 01:41 AM   #248 
Fenghuang

Yeah. Her eye was weird, but not swollen. Kinda developed rather suddenly in the last few days.