Betta Fish Forum banner

Just a bit of panic and a need for advice.

844 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  birdielikestomatoes 
#1 ·
So I went downstairs to feed Steve, who is in my very cold basement boudoir, and as always I checked the thermometer and it was at 70 F! So I went into full blown panic mode, ran upstairs, gimpy foot aside, grabbed a cup and well he's now floating in the 10g.

Anyway, once I got him floating the panic receded and I got a spare thermometer and checked the temp closer to the top (top right corner pretty close to heater) and it was 78 F, much more usual. However the temp on the other thermometer (bottom left corner) was still 70F, I moved it closer to the top and the temp went up to 75F. I can only assume that the strange temperature zones is because my filter broke yesterday and now the heated water isn't getting to all corners.

I've ordered a new filter on amazon but in the mean time should I keep Steve in the empty side of my 10g or put him back in his tank and just hope he doesn't get too stressed out over the weird temperature spots?

#4 ·
There isn't really anywhere to put his tank. He has a 100w heater, so usually this isn't a problem but it just seems like since there isn't any water movement the heat isn't spreading to all corners of the tank. After playing with the thermometer it seems like the temp in the tank can vary from 70F to 80F depending on how close it is to the heater.

When the filter was working the temperature was uniform all throughout the tank.

#5 ·
Any idea of what I should do? Should I keep him in the empty half of the 10g for about a week until I get his new filter? It seems more logical than keeping him in his 6g with so many different temperature zones, but I just like to have more than just my opinion.

#7 ·
I know mine tend to stay close to the heater when I was having similiar problems, so I never worried about them unduly...but my temp changes weren't *that* significant either. I'd keep him in the 10 gallon, does he have to stay in a cup, or can he be in a larger plastic container floating, so he's got a bit more space? That seems like your safest option to keep him from being stressed.

Good luck to you!!

#8 ·
I do have a hospital/quarantine container I could place him in, I'm just reluctant to do that.

The 10g is divided in half, currently only one half is being used for Hilda. There's is plenty of hiding places on each side so I wouldn't worry too much about them being stressed out.

#10 ·
Was the one that read 70 flat against the glass?
One of my tanks had thinner plastic sides and my thermometers are those magnetic ones that lie flat against the glass. One time I was getting a below normal temp, but when I took the thermometer off the glass, the temp went up. I thought there was something wrong with my thermometer, so I tried it with another thermometer, and it read the same temp until I put it against the side again and it went does- then I realized that it was actually reading the temp outside the tank. If your tank is glass or thicker plastic it's not a problem, but that particular tank was cheaper quality and caused the thermometers to read the outside temp. Could this be happening to you?

#14 ·
The thermometer I use is this one: http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Floating-Thermometer-Suction-Cup/dp/B0002AQITK/ref=reg_hu-rd_add_1_dp so I don't believe it's taking the temp of the outside or plastic.

As for Steve he's currently in the empty half of the 10g. He and Hilda had a bit of a flare off through the divider, which is semi opague, but they're pretty much ignoring each other as of now.

I think he's taking the change better than I am! He likes to watch tv with me at night and I missed that. He literally stays at the front of the tank and stares at my tv while the show is on, especially if it's MLP. :lol:

Let's just hope his new filter gets here soon!

#15 ·
Yeah, this is a fairly common problem in areas with colder climates. It's actually one reason I've never tried uncycled - I knew I'd need a filter to circulate the water anyway, so there is no point. I usually position the filter intake tube right next to the heater so there is a constant flow of water around it (otherwise the water around the heater will heat up fairly quickly, and if it is on a thermostat, it will just turn off).

#16 ·
Hehehe, Steve and Hilda are currently having a bubble nest building contest. xD I can just imagine Steve saying, "Hey babe, look at my nest? Impressed?" And her just scoffing and going "B****, please. This is a nest."

I'll post the pictures tonight or tomorrow or the nests so you can see what I mean.

#18 ·
Aw really? My boys tend to do so after they see a female.

I also apologize for not posting pictures yet! I've been super busy lately due to the holidays and whatnot.

I've also decided that Steve's manliness has been obliterated the past few days. I got his filter and was planning to install today during water changes but when I got it out of the boxing I discovered it was cracked! So now I have to send it back to amazon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.