Betta Fish Forum banner

1st time breeder questions

3K views 67 replies 12 participants last post by  Xaltd1 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! My plan is to start breeding in April.I have done loads of research on this forum but still have some questions. Here are some:
1.how do you cull?
2.are mason jars those jars that you can buy at the grocery store in packs of 24?
3. My petstore does not sell live plants. Are silk okay for both the spawn and grow out tank?
4. Where do you find cultures and bbs eggs?
That's all for now. If anyone else has any questions,you can post them here.

#4 ·
I have a question.

Besides money, what is the top reason people start breeding? It seems complicated to breed something very nice . . . from what I have read breeding "just for fun" is considered irresponsible? True or False? And why do you breed?

#6 ·
1.) There are many ways to cull. You can feed to a carnivorous animal or fish. You can use clove oil. You can freeze in ice cold water. You can hit on the head with a hammer, though that would take FOREVER for each and every one.

2.) Mason jars are those ones that stores sell in 24 packs. You need to make sure that you get the right size, though. They need to be large enough for a fish to comfortably swim around. Usually one quart is the easiest to find, but if you can find something bigger then that would be even better.

3.) You can use fake plants for spawning and grow out. Most will leave grow out bare though, if live plants are not available. Live plants have many benefits including fry's first food: infusoria. For the spawning tank, you will want to make sure that there are plenty of hiding spots for your girl, since there will be much chasing/nipping involved.

4.) I have not been able to find the cultures that I want at my LPS, but I found bbs there. Ebay is a great place to go, but there is also the classified section on this forum. Many members sell their left over eggs, cultures, and plants to other members.

I want to breed, because I'm simply interested in the whole process. I enjoy genetics, animals, and feeling accomplished (who doesn't?). I really want to make color combinations and lines that are not only interesting to me, but also other people. I eventually want to show my work, but not until I have something that really makes me go: WOW.

#7 · (Edited)
Breeding "just for fun" can mean two different things. Clearly my breeding isn't going to be my main source of income. However, I'm not just taking a male and female and throwing them in a tank just to see how things work. THAT is irresponsible.

#10 ·
Breeding "just for fun" can mean to different things. Clearly my breeding isn't going to be my main source of income. However, I'm not just taking a male and female and throwing them in a tank just to see how things work. THAT is irresponsible.

I hear you. I would have the same instincts, I would love to gather bettas I think are beautiful and breed them, that's why I ask. But I read a bunch of articles today that sort of made me rethink it, thinking it's really complicated. That just made me curious about everyone else.

I'm an animal lover and designer and I like science too .. so it just seems very interesting to me. But for me I think I'll just stick to having bettas as pets. . maybe I can breed some of those red and white "koi" looking platies one day instead :) I don't think I'd have room for a bazillion jars of bettas :(

Good luck to you and it would be interesting to chronicle your ups and downs of this venture :)

#9 ·
It depends on father. If you're a first time breeder, it's suggested to take the male out once they are free swimming. Usually a male who is well fed will ignore any want to eat his fry. Buuuut. Some males are "bad" fathers and will eat the eggs instead of simply transporting them around the nest. Then it is suggested to take them out as well. It's usually not a good idea to let adults and fry stay in the same tank after too long, but some breeders have written about successfully doing it. Given that they are more on the expert side than you or I. :)

#11 ·
Yea...it's expensive... I think I'm in debt now. LOL. Not really, but it is expensive. I think the worst part is when things don't turn out how you expect, so you have to drop even more money on it.

#12 ·
This is not a money making hobby. It will take a couple years to get close to breaking even with what you put out on a regular basis to breed them. Not to mention the jump in electric/water bills.

Don't go into this thinking you will be making money.. Expect to spend a lot of money, take up a lot of space and spend hours a day doing water changes/feedings.

This isn't an easy hobby..

As for your questions -

Culling can be done in different ways - can use clove oil, a larger predatory fish, cutting heads, etc.. expect to cull from very tiny fry to larger, almost adult sized fish. Not easy either way you do it.

Mason jars are fine - make sure they are at least 32oz as the minimum as you are wanting them to grow. Find a way to make sure you heat each one - most have a fish room that they heat up apart from the house to 85F+. So make sure to research different techniques on how to heat each one of those jars appropriately.

Live plants are better as they help keep the water cleaner, and provide food for the first day or two. But they aren't "needed".. I would look into purchasing some online because they are good to have. Otherwise, you can just use silk plants without any trouble.

BBS you will usually find easier online - San Francisco Bay online store sells them, IBC sells them in their shop, etc.. there are other places. You will want to get the higher quality, better grade.. they tend to have higher hatch rates.. it can get expensive though, I think I spent $85 on my can... but it can last a long time if kept in the fridge.

Cultures you will most likely have to find a breeder who has some for sale and purchase them from the breeder and have them shipped. Do some research on how to care for them so you know what you are prepared for.

Don't forget the IAL - makes a big difference in the health of the eggs/fry and in breeding the fish.. especially if you don't use live plants, IAL will be very good to have. That you will have to order online as well.. order it early, as sometimes customs can hold it and can take a few weeks to arrive. It's beneficial, as eggs can easily become enveloped in fungus and IAL will help prevent it.

#13 ·
Okay, thank you every one! I just have another question. Do you need to have a lid on the spawning / grow out tank? I'm pretty sure that you do, just making sure.

#14 ·
Yes.. one for light (so they get used to it), also can use seran wrap (but can get bothersome/expensive) so I use glass canopies. They start to develop their labyrinth organ roughly at the 7wk mark and the humidity caused by the high temp + tight fitting cover will help keep the labyrinth organs healthy.

Also they help to avoid drafts... a cool draft from a fan could cause them trouble.

Don't forget adjustable heaters that can heat the tanks easily to about 84F - will need larger watts for the grow out tanks, smaller for the breeding tanks, but still able to heat warm enough.

#16 ·
Just out of curiosity, could someone put together a must have list for spawning / fry? It will for sure help me, and other people who need an idea.

#21 ·
I'm getting my pair from logistics guy! Thanks for the suggestions though!

#23 ·
I'd make a list.. I have a good one I built when I was getting everything ready.. but it seems like you are always buying one thing or another even after you think you have everything -.- lol

#25 ·
If you have any questions feel free to ask. There are a ton of skilled breeders here. i am still learning, failed attempts (if you have any) should not discourage you. every failed attempt i had made my next spawn even better and i continue to learn. There is a lot of knowledge and experienc on this site, tap into it.

#26 ·
i put sid and nancy together in the spawn tank about an hour and a half ago, and they're definitely interested in each other (flirting, chasing, etc) he did a "practice wrap" as soon as she was in the water (just assumed the wrap pose, shook a few times then stopped) but he seems totally unwilling to build a nest. what can i do to encourage him? should their light be off?

#28 ·
Question: if i get a ten gallon spawning tank, and a 20 gallon grow out tank and some mason jars (like 100) i should ideally have enough tank space right?

#30 ·
What do you mean? A 20 gallon spawn tank?!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.