Betta Fish Forum banner

Hydor Mini 7.5W Aquarium Heater?

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Scienceluvr8 
#1 ·
Since I'm finally going to be able to make a trip to Petco tomorrow, I want to take advantage and get a heater for my betta's tanks. I really didn't need it before, but now my tanks are getting a little too cold and I can see the difference in my bettas. Anyways I was looking at this heater and wanted to know if anyone has it and how it worked out for them. I planned to get this for my 1.5 gallon, but I may just get it also for my 2.5...I'm still not sure yet. So, what are you opinions on this?

#2 ·
I use it in all of my smaller tanks. I had to plug it into a timer for my 1.5 gallon because it was overheating the tank. It keeps my 2 gallon tanks between 75 and 80.

#5 ·
I like mine. It did ok in the one gal and pretty good in the 2.5. It does keep mine pretty high (like 82*) but neither Blue Jeans or Freddie have seemed to have a problem with the high temps.

I would prefer to get a heater for the 2.5 that I could actually manually set but since I'm short on cash and this works ok I keep it.

Personally If you can afford it I would get an adjustable heater for the 2.5. A timer may work as well but it would probably be cheaper just to get an adjustable heater.

#9 ·
I just have the cheapo top fin heaters but they work great for me.. I use the 25w in my 3 gal so thats prolly what you need.. I think a 50 w would be way too much (I use that in my 10 gall)

The top fins don't have the temp adjustment just a knob with hi to low.. so they do take a little fiddling but after the first week I've never had to adjust mine (with the exception of a little higher when winter hit).

#11 ·
you can get the top fins from petsmart (I don't know about petco bc I don't have one near me). I think they run about $15 .. average. I tried to find them on petsmart.com but they didn't have them so it might be only certain stores that carry them.

On a different note you can get the visitherm heater for like $16 off walmart.com.. not available in stores though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.