Betta Fish Forum banner

Color pattern?

484 views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  themamaj 
#1 ·
Have been watching this guy for several weeks hoping he would get adopted. How would you describe his coloring? Dragon scale multi plakat? Noticed has few scales on back body ( first pix) that looked different. Is this a concern or coloring? I always notice unusual looking fish. Sweet guy always responds wanting attn so hopefully can help find him good home.

#2 ·
He is a plakat (tail type). As for color term(s) forum member lilnaugrim will come give a proper assessment I'm sure but I'd say "multi color".. probably has the marble gene so colors may cahnge (whites turn blue for example) and the orange/yellow with red fins is called "Armageddon" by a lot of sellers but I believe someone (maybe lil?) corrected that its a specific strain that can only truly use that term.. but I use it anyways (shh don't tell).

He's certainly pretty, I'd buy him. Again lil' will have a proper answer but the wired scale area on the first photo.. looks like a defect or old damage to me.

#3 ·
Very interesting about Armageddon. I just thought he was really unusual coloration and have been looking for an interesting dragon. Be anxious to hear Lil assessment too! Thank you! !!!

#4 ·
Armageddon?

Have been watching this guy for several weeks hoping he would get adopted. How would you describe his coloring? Dragon scale multi plakat? Noticed has few scales on back body ( first pix) that looked different. Is this a concern or coloring? I always notice unusual looking fish. Sweet guy always responds wanting attn so hopefully can help find him good home

Was wondering if anyone could give me an accurate description of this guy and tell me what are qualities that define an Armageddon?

#7 · (Edited)
Wow.... I'd grab that boy in a heartbeat if I ever saw him ar my LFS...

Anyways, he looks like a partial dragon Orange/Red/Blue multicolor HMPK, could be classified as an "Armageddon" but he'd need more red on him IMO.... Also those scales just look like a deformity to me, nothing that'll effect his health

#9 ·
I think it was AukWord who said that about the Armageddon's because I would call him an Armageddon myself :) Specially, an Armageddon Monster because of the white scales on his head, but yes, they will eventually turn blue with some time and then he'll just be an Armageddon technically. Armageddon is anything that has yellow AND red on the fins/body. It was previously believed that these two colors cannot exist on the same fish.

Those scales on him are actually just deformed, he's an X-Factor boy which means his scales are badly messed up and deformed, not a desirable breeder fish regardless of color pattern but I'm sure he'll make a great pet for you!

#10 ·
I think it was AukWord who said that about the Armageddon's because I would call him an Armageddon myself :) Specially, an Armageddon Monster because of the white scales on his head, but yesgenetichey will eventually turn blue with some time ansited then he'll just be identifiedn Armageddon technically. Armageddon is anything that has yellow AND red on the fins/body. It was previously believed that these two colors cannot exist on the same fish.

Those scales on him are actually just deformed, he's an X-Factor boy which means his scales are badly messed up and deformed, not a desirable breeder fish regardless of color pattern but I'm sure he'll make a great pet for you!
Thank you so much Lilnaugrim! I was anxious to hear your thoughts. So is a monster always a dragon with white scales on head? I was most intrigued about the Armaggedon because this was a new color pattern for me. The genetics behind it is fascinating. Is there a good website to learn more about identifying genetic traits?

#12 ·
So in a case like this where there are dragon as well as metallic scales is there a marble gene involved or if you see both is that a prediction that the metallic will become dominant with age?

#13 ·
There is almost always Marble genes at work, especially with Monsters. Monster, Butterfly, Koi, Piebald, Dalmatian, and Armageddon all come from the marble gene. It's only when they have splotchy colors that we call them "Marble" or Fancy Marble if you prefer. But generally we don't say Marble Butterfly, it's just something that is always there but we don't ID it normally since it isn't necessary.

Metallic is always going to be dominant over DS since Blue is dominant over White. It's just a switch in name is all, the actual scales don't change thickness or anything except their color. He may keep the white for a little while but eventually the blue always takes over.

That answer you?

#14 ·
Yes thank you. Exactly what wanted to know. I am interested in learning as much as possible and maybe try my hand at breading bettas at some point. I am very interested in genetics and how to make predictions based on recessive and dominant traits. Thank you again for your time and input!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.