Betta Fish Forum banner

Live plants

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  giypsy 
#1 · (Edited)
Help (live plants)

what do you suggest on putting live plants in my betta's bowl???

#3 ·
I really do love live plants, but make sure you have appropriate lighting. My plants are unfortunately suffering because my room is rather dim and I can't go out and buy a nice light.

#7 ·
Alex, how big is the bowl that you are using?

My 2.5 gal tank - rectangular style with lid - is placed between 2 windows - but I have a small (daylight type) flourescent light that I use to keep the plants happy. I turn the light on when I am feeding the fish in the morning, and shut it off around 8pm.

You've seen the pictures of it - with the pictures of Galahad that I posted on Sunday.

Planted tanks are wonderful for helping to cycle the tanks really quickly. The plants add the necessary 'bio' matter that kickstarts the nitrogen cycle. I try to use the Walstead method on all my planted tanks, but my larger tanks are very 'high' light so they don't work well. My smaller tank is just about perfect although, in the past week, I've been having a bit of an algae bloom in it - but I think it's because I'd moved the tank closer to the window and into the natural light. I'm giving this tank a 2 day 'lights off' to address the algae issues, accordingly.

The water in the tank is becoming too cold now to keep bettas happy, and I don't have a decent size heater for it - so it will be fishless for the winter season.

How the walstead method works - you put an organic soil beneath the gravel. in a larger tank it's a 1" to 1" ratio - but in a bowl or small tank like my 2.5 gallon - it's more a 1/2" soil to 1" gravel.

You put in as many plants as you can get in the soil - and the choice of plants will depend on your lighting type. low light plants can take anything under 2 watts per gallon, set the lighting for 10 to 12 hours of light to give the plants enough 'grow time' to match the summer season.

For soil types - ONLY USE ORGANIC! - I can't stress this enough - the non organic types tend to add chemicals, nitro products that can be harmful to the fish.

If you're ordering plants - I had really horrendous results with dwarf grass and baby tears in my big tanks. The moneywort and elodia, seem to do especially well with the low light tanks, as does watersprite (floater).

My crypts didn't like the small tank - I am thinking that the bulb I'm using makes the tank more 'medium - high' light ... although, I don't know what the wattage is on that bulb.

For the planted tank, you will notice that if the tank does not have decent circulation, the water will develop a nasty smell. I scoop out about 70 percent of the water every week to address the scent issues. Otherwise, with this type of planted tank you should not need to do much syphoning unless you have dying plants to remove.

The fish waste becomes fertilizer for the live plants. However, you have to be really careful to not overfeed your fish. If you do, the water will become cloudy - I have this problem with my cory/oto/Richard's tank... The effort to fix an overfed tank is much more rigorous... extensive water changes, filter cleanings and the works...

#9 ·
no problem... the walstead method doesn't usually have much decor... the bottom of the tank is supposed to become 'jungle-like' - the website that will give you a lot to think of - and where I am still learning quite a bit from - (I'm a newbie by a long-shot!) - is:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/el-natural/

Definitely great place to do your research - and, when you're setting up the tank, if you have questions - you can get some great feedback there. Even Diana Walstead participates! :)

The pictures of the 'el natural' tanks that folks post there are a real sight to behold...

When you're setting up your 29 g - or if you decide to re-start the 10g - definitely keep me posted.

best advice I can give - is be careful how you pour in the water. The soil can really easily be disturbed and will float... meaning you will have to be empty the tank and start again... really frustrating... but, once you know how to get the water in - the set up is pretty easy and painless.

#10 ·
the small tank...

it's far from perfect - but here's what my small tank looks like 'full view'.

Aquarium decor Aquarium Freshwater aquarium Aquatic plant Plant

#13 ·
Well, I'm in the middle of an algae battle from that window (which you can see from the picture - I put the tank too much in the natural light) - and, since last week, when I took that picture - I now have growing green all over my gravel.

But, I removed Galahad on Sunday, so it's only the plants growing in there right now. However, the temptation will be that I'm going to the local fish store tonight... looking for some heaters for the tanks I have set up (who don't have heaters yet)...

another betta? if I find a heater for the 2.5 gallon sized tank??? Oh my... yes. the temptation is sooo strong!

#14 ·
plants die for two major reasons. Lack of proper fertilization. improper lighting.

every one of my tanks is different - I have 4 planted tanks going - and, in one tank a plant will work, while in another, it fails. The substrate is the same - so it comes down to lighting.

find out what type of light you have on the tank, what kelvin temp, and how many watts. Then you do a simple formula - watts/gallons water = low, med, high ... then you can figure out what plants meet those light requirements. Internet research of each plant will help alleviate some of the plant worries, the rest is just trial and error.

#15 ·
i envy those that can properly maintain a planted tank. i would not recommend plants to a beginner because its harder than it looks. sure it improves the aesthetic value and water quality (if done properly) , but the work required to maintaining it is not worth it.

#16 ·
I don't know if I agree - I did my first planted tank concurrently with a 'non' planted tank... and it's addictive. It takes a lot of research, keep reading - I spent a month planning out my first tank, ordering the light fixture, and all the 'li'l' details before I set mine up.

The first month was extremely trying - the things like algae - it's expected to happen - and, beleive me - it does! and, for someone new like me - I was so worried - but, the comments I got from other el natural forum members was that I needed more plants to make competition for the nutrient levels in my tank. And, the whole process becomes an experiment.

Im 2 months in now - and, addicted to the whole process. Is it more work? to begin, yes. But, after a while, once you get the process down - and, the plants respond to your method - you find you don't have to do any work ... most especially on the larger tanks. My first 20 gallon is due a 20% water change - My 30 gallon tank is 1 month along - and needs a 15% water and a wash of the floating watersprite because the algae in it is becoming rather unbearable. The 2.5 gallon tank really needs to be moved away from the window - I have it on a weekly cycle to remove 70% of the water - although, I skipped last week because I knew that I was moving Galahad out of there. - The 20 gallon long that I set up 3 weeks ago? - well, I need to do some chemistry tests on it and see how my levels are. If it's ok and it should be, because I began the tank using a 'used' filter - then all I'll do is top off the water. and, my newest tank, the 15 gallon that I set up this weekend? - I won't have to worry about doing anything to it for another few weeks - except find some more plants to put in it.

5 planted tanks? and only 2 months in? ... how crazy is that? :) But overall - the ease comes from not having to do massive water changes unless there's a major clean-up issue. The fish poop? fertilizer.

The non-planted tanks will always have the same cleaning schedule. You change the filters regularly. You siphon, and/or wash the gravel. You change the water fully or partially as part of a weekly routine.

The planted tanks, once settled and running smoothly, just aren't this schedule driven.

#17 ·
Sorry I was at school. My betta's bowl is about one gal. but petsmart sells little plants.

#18 ·
#20 ·
that was helpfull, thanks!!!

#21 ·
As a fertilizer, the soil is necessary in the specific method tank that I 'do'.

There are plenty of people who don't use soil, but to do so you will have to add a regular liquid fertilizer to your tank to keep the plants growing. That 'non-soil' method isn't one I've tried.

I strive for low tech, even though some of my tanks don't agree with me - (I bought the wrong lights for one of them...)

#23 ·
I use Miracle Grow Organic Choice. Home Depot sells it ... a big bag will do 2 tanks and a couple of replantings of house plants...

#24 · (Edited)
MissSteph:
I found a product called Flourite (black). It is a stable clay based gravel and will last the life of the aquarium and beyond. I bought a 15lb bag for $20 U.S. I asked Fish-guy at my store if the soil was necessary, he said not with this product. It is made especially for aqua-scaping. It was a little pricey but amortized over the life of an aquarium and beyond, not so much.

For my 5g tank, (17.5"x9.5") 1 bag gives at least 5" substrate; I'm cutting down to 3". Here is a link to a distributor who has provided a calculator at the bottom of the page: http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Flourite.html

#25 ·
I do the non-soil method of plant keeping. I use Kent's Pro-Plant liquid fertilizer though. I love my planted tank - and in all honesty this is my first planted tank. It was a bit challenging at first until I found out the root of my problem was an iron deficiency. Once I got that taken care of the plants took off. I wouldn't have made it through without Neenjar's help though. He probably saw my name in his inbox and thought "oh no not again" lol.

#26 ·
Today was water change day. I woke up to find FredFish had root pruned all my watersprite for me, grrrrr. Not a single plant had roots. I noticed him nosing those plants when I put them in yesterday but could not catch him actually nipping them. I also noticed he spent alot of time around the back of the bowl where the Java roots are. I turned the bowl on it's lazy susan to see what he was up to. Again could not catch him actually nipping. I removed the little colony of watersprite into the 5g I am cycling.

Another oddity which may be due to it being a bowl and not straight sides. FredFish really needed to be provoked before he would flare at the mirror. I did the mirror test to observe behavior; checking for all the normal betta behavior. It seems FredFish is difficult to provoke. However, he is pretty sensitive to ambient sound, if I cough or sneeze, he startles. I may have to rename him "berdache".

Anyone have similar experiences?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.