Betta Fish Forum banner

The Quick Question Thread

127K views 3K replies 389 participants last post by  Hallyx 
#1 ·
I saw this on a different forum and I thought it might fit here! The questions to post here are not big enough to post as a new thread, so if it is just a 'Quick Question', you post it here.

Quick Question:
How long does it take before betta eggs hatch?

#1,530 ·
Lynn-
you can't. if your little guy is getting color you can't stop it. or you can, but it would require abusing him so please don't D:
he's coloring up because he's getting healthier and happier ^-^ this color is inevitable though :/

#1,532 ·
Tisia-
aww poor baby.... I'm glad he's better now ^-^
they're so ridiculous sometimes, haha.. thankyou so much, it looks almost exactly like that so I bet that's what it is :)
he's slinking around a little but I guess it might have surprised him lol ><
thanks again :D

#1,534 ·
haha, yeah, likewise with mine :D I've heard some are really stubborn and cranky and tough-guy x3 mine's massively sweet-tempered though ^-^ he's just like staring at me with these big sad eyes like it's not his fault XD
I love them so much :D
and you're always stuck wondering how on earth they managed to do their latest injury to themselves >.< I never realized how amazing they are :D now if only we could hug them :'3 <3

#1,535 ·
Arg if it was possible i would strangle my red boy (not really just frustrated now). I have gone over his tank with a fine tooth comb and there is nothing to hurt his fins. They were just healing up nicely and hes gone and taken a big chunk out of it again. And it happened in the last 40 mins whilst I was reading on my bed. I give up on him, I love his color and temperament except for this new nasty habit.

#1,536 ·
Wyvern- you could try removing plants and adding a cup and putting in some FW AQ salt to see if it causes just enough stinging to make him stop, but idk :(
it is unfortunate D:
has he seemed bored lately?

#1,537 ·
Nope he is hyper and playfull, he has a habit of rearranging his plants so I let him at it since it keeps him busy. Dunno if he just got a fright tho cos I just salvaged some of my other plants from the goldfish tank - they thought it was their salad bar and it not gonna happen! We struggle to find real aquarium plants and I just spent a small fortune on mine to have the goldies eat it. So I took it out and added it to the boys tanks.

#1,540 ·
Yes, I would try first looking in the breeding section. Right now, NIB has some GREAT looking fry (young fish) for sale. If youre looking for older fish, perhaps try titling a thread "Looking for breeders selling adult fish" or something, say what you like, and the range for price, maybe.

The user Chard is a seller/breeder who also sells on aquabid.com, and has a skillion fish for sale right now. Dont quote me on this, but I think he gives members a discount?

You can also try postin in the lounge.

#1,539 ·
Wyvern-
huh.... ><
then yeah unless you temp. move the plants don't add salt...
and that should be giving him more fun DX I'm really sorry but my guy doesn't bite so I'm not sure D: have you tired making a full board about it?

#1,541 ·
How filling are the flake foods in comparison to pellets? I generally use the flakes as more of a treat or I give them very sparingly sometimes on his fasting day.

It just seems like the pellets being the main source of food constipates him and if I'm understanding the labels right, it seems like the flakes have equal or more nutritional value. I don't know if they're really enough though, still. Plus if you give too much, most of it seeps to the bottom and clouds up the water. :-?

#1,542 ·
Brooke- I don't use flakes, but I do know their stomachs are smaller than their eye, so one or two should be fine; and you don't have to worry about under feeding, as they can go several days to a week if really needed, even longer in drastic harsh conditions. usually when I give my betta a treat I give him a blood worm, and their cases are hard to digest so i only give them one. definitely don't let it stay in the tank, ><

#1,543 ·
Thanks, inkrealm!
I'll just try fasting him for a day or two since he seems kinda bloated, instead of switching to the flakes.

The ones I have also have tiny freeze-dried brine shrimp which I assume doesn't have much nutritional value, but maybe I'll just ditch the flakes and give them one of those occasionally for a treat. I haven't been able to find blood worms yet! Argh! :)

#1,544 ·
no problem :D
yeah, one fasting day once a week is good on a constant basis, don't feed him on that day no matter how much he begs! ;D mine does better if I leave his light off that day, he seems to have learned that means he doesn't get food till the next.
and two days in a row if he's looking a tad bloated. remember they do have two SMALL lumps that are the swim bladder. but if they swell up or get bigger or he seems to be constantly swimming down and unable to stay down this may be the beginning of swim bladder disease. just try fasting twice in a row, if that doesn't work try some epsom salt. post first in the forums to ensure this is swim bladder before you use salts though, and someone else here will have to give you the measurements for how much and what type if that's needed though DX
you haven't found even the freeze-dried ones? ><
and I dunno people do recommend the shrimp :) variety is always good ^-^ just make sure he eats it, and remove it if it sinks ><
also you might try taking the cap off the food and rinsing it in hot water ( no soap ) and drying it with a clean paper towel and filling it with a bit of tank water. stick the two pellets in before feeding them to him, and let them get soft, then give them to him. ^-^ mine won't eat them if they've been soaked but some will and it makes digestion easier ^-^

#1,545 ·
Ah, tricky! They are really smart though! They definitely learn patterns quickly and even seem to get demanding sometimes if routines are not followed, hahah.

I'll definitely have to get the right measurement of salt from someone here. I'm the worst at figuring out measurements. It's embarrassing, haaa. I only have a 1 gallon tank, so I wouldn't think I'd need much, right?
I just have the basic API aquarium salt. Haven't used it yet though!

And nope, I haven't!! Where are they usually found? The petstores I have been to haven't had them for some reason. Very annoying.
I was soaking the pellets and even chopping them in half for awhile but I got lazy about it and he was finally gobbling them up without them being soaked, but that's a good thought. I'm sure he was digesting them better then!

#1,546 ·
yeah, mine dances around feeding time ^-^ he used to on fast days too, I didn't turn the light on one fast day though because the plants were getting too much light, and I noticed he didn't dance as much, so from now I just leave it off and he's as calm as can be :D he still begs if you walk over, he fluffs up and looks all pretty ( not flaring, just fluffing up ) and stares at you with these big brown eyes x3

haha, no worries, I'm awful at them too ;^;
yeah, not much. but I still don't know how much, you could over do it even with just a little, or under do it, so I'd just check ><
also if it's 1 gal are you doing water changes every day or every other at least? ^-^
yeah, for bloating you need EPSOM though, not API. API is good for other diseases, the ones caused by bacteria :D make sure it's the salt for freshwater fish though, it should say freshwater on it ^-^
and again only use as a last resort, clean water is the best cure ^-^

really? that'd odd >< mine was just with fish food at PetsMart, maybe they don't carry them everywhere though... yeah, do you know what type he is? veil tail, crown tail, etc.? I heard some types are more prone to swim bladder than others because their tails make them really fragile...

#1,547 ·
Aww! What a charmer!
I 86'ed the light on my tank because it seemed to disturb him. He would flare instantly and start pacing back & forth and although he looked really awesome and his color was so pretty with the light, I didn't want to stress him out. I just need a bigger tank, I think. This one was kind of a bust with the light and the filter which would have sucked him in if I hadn't quickly unplugged it. :-(

I will get the Epsom salt soon in case the bloating doesn't go away. I kinda wonder if I'll ever need the API salt, ha. And I checked, it is the freshwater kind! I do a full water change every day. Only once did I test out waiting two days and it was really gross. Just two short days and blech! Filmy water and an irritated-seeming fish. Poor fish. So now I clean it daily.

I possibly could have overlooked it. I checked Petsmart and I didn't see them so I asked a very disinterested seeming employee and he said he didn't think they had them, haha. So I took his word for it. I wonder if they would be on their website or online somewhere.

And he's a veil tail. :-D

#1,548 ·
cheeze, you can say that again o^o that's insane, ><
mine's loved his light since the first day he came home, >.< crazy yours reacts that way, I definitely agree though, sounds like he objects haha D:
I'm glad it didn't hurt him :( and yeah, 2.5 is preferred for absolute smallest, 2 is also okay, but the extra .5 makes a huge difference for the little guy ^-^
you might also post in the habitat forum for advice on setting up a critter keeper if you need something cheap right now ^-^ they have larger ones ( 2.5 - 3 and maybe even 5 gallons ) that are still fairly cheap, but nice space :D

as long as you keep the water clean it's unlikely, but it's always good to be prepared and sometimes they get sick even when the water is clean, but much more rarely ^-^ yay :D
and ick on the water, haha, I'm glad you clean it daily now and I bet he is too :D

yeah, the employees at those places are almost always awful DX
I have some frogs too ^-^ well only one now, one escaped when he got spooked in a thunderstorm :/ but when I first got them the lady told me to give them distilled water with water conditioner added in for nutrients ><;
distilled water is hugely bad for them, it ruins their osmosis, and distilled water does not need conditioner because it has no chlorine, AND conditioner does not add nutrients DX she told us to give him a 50 watt bulb too, which would have killed him like a very sad raisin 0^0
so yeah, I could see that XD;
I'll check again next time I'm there to see where exactly ours are ^-^

ah, so is my sweet boy :D they aren't typically prone as far as I know ^-^
although every fish is different and there can be exceptions ^-^
i'm sure it'll clear right up :D

#1,549 ·
i got the nutrafin ph test today. turns out the water is rather basic, 7.6 ph. how does hutrafin adjust up and own work? 2 bottles, one bottle to turn it down and one to make it more acidic?

#1,551 ·
@Nel: 7.6 is fine, however if you do want to change the pH, you'll have to do it accurately every single time you do a water change, which is why changing the pH is generally not recommended unless it is something ridiculous like 3 or 9 (in which case you shouldn't even be DRINKING it let alone using it for fish).

The bottles should come with their own instructions, but if it were me, I wouldn't touch it. My pH is higher than yours and my fish are happy and healthy!

#1,553 ·
@Nel: 7.6 is fine, however if you do want to change the pH, you'll have to do it accurately every single time you do a water change, which is why changing the pH is generally not recommended unless it is something ridiculous like 3 or 9 (in which case you shouldn't even be DRINKING it let alone using it for fish).

The bottles should come with their own instructions, but if it were me, I wouldn't touch it. My pH is higher than yours and my fish are happy and healthy!
thank you very much bahamut, i was just getting confused from the nh3/nh4 reading i got from. its below .6mg/l, not sure of exact as its a pallet of 6 shades of yellow from 0-7.3 mg/l. the 7.6 ph row shows a very narrow band of ammonia levels that may be dangerous. both test kits are hagen/nutrafin. i'll just submit the samples every few days to a pet store to get an idea when the dangerous levels come into play for the betta. i guess somewhere between 6.0-7.0 is a good range to keep ammonia at bay. though i wont get any ph modifier until i know how fast the ammonia builds up.

#1,552 ·
@Nikkic: Depends on the temperament of your individual betta. Some are very bold, some are very shy, so you'll have to adjust that yourself. As for resting on plants, yes it's fairly normal for them to rest sometimes, although I'm not sure if it is normal for them to be in the same spot ALL the time. Usually they rest near the top so they can relax while still breathing through the labyrinth organ.

#1,554 ·
ok tysm. each of our boys have there own betta and we just havent moved the one into his room yet....it seems like a younger fish(very hyper, lol) and my other sons is bigger with longer fins and much mellower(has had him about 2yrs now). and no he dose not always rest there. i just thought it was odd, lol. also, is there more of a reflection from there point of view when the room is darker and there tank light is on. cause ill walk into the room and hell be all puffed out...lol

#1,556 ·
@Nel: Test your tapwater, if your tapwater has ammonia in it, then that's a different problem, if it's just your tank with ammonia, then, unless you're cycling you may want to add an additional water change day

#1,557 · (Edited)
i just found a beautiful marble DT with green fins on aquabid (from a Thailand fish farm). how does aqua bid work regarding previewing shipping rates?
just what does this mean?
Shipping cost from Thailand to transhipper in USA. $ 5 usd/each Zone EU : Shipping directly to you by Ems. $ 50 USD/box (1-6 bettas) Zone ASIA : Shipping directly to you by Ems. $ 25 USD/box (1-6 bettas)
i presume it would be 25 usd and $25 to buy now, (6 days until close). i know its $50 but it almost my dream fish: marble or cambodian with light green fin/body.

are the sellers on aquabid certified to sell the fish or is it best to ask b4? seller is from Em Betta Breeding Farm Auction.

@ bahamut: i have yet to get the pet shop to test the ammonia in the tap water and i tried it with nutrafin ammonia test. think there's some in it but not 100 sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.