Betta Fish Forum banner

Betta barracks set-up

5K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Laki 
#1 ·
This is my custom-built barracks fully set-up and looking the best it has since I purchased it.

It can house 10 bettas, but I have a little CT male bunking in the huge back area as well. I custom built the spraybar out of sprinkler parts and it seems to be working well at circulating water around and distributing heat. I’m going to be running a small sponge filter in each section to aid water movement and boost my biological filtration.

Got a mixed bag of fish in there, from pet store VTs to imported pairs. Everyone seems to be settling in well, and aside from an initial bout of velvet, which I treated no problem, it is going smoothly.

Each compartment holds 2.5 gallons of water, and I’m going to be taking out the anubias and java fern/amazon swords, and replacing them with pygmy chain sword, vallisneria, and hydrilla.

CT male in the back section. Going to be spawning him hopefully with a super blue HMPK female sometime this week.

Also here are two of my shubunkins who went and sulked by the filter as soon as I whipped out the camera. Biggest is around 15-20 cms while smallest is around 10-12cms.

See less See more
#4 ·
Wow! Nice! That Crowntail is beautiful!

#8 ·
It was massively and accidentally under-quoted so the owner didn't really want me to say online. But it was under $200 for the whole thing.

I thought it was cheap at the time. I felt bad when he mentioned he hadn't realised how big it was actually going to be.

The only thing I would change is that I wanted the edges bevelled but that particular store doesn't do bevelled edges so I just had to go with stock standard.

#11 ·
Thanks guys. Happy to report everyone is doing well in there. The drippers have a fairly decent flow but my HM males seem to be coping fine.

I'm hoping my plants get sent out today so I can plant it up a bit more tomorrow.

Just going to QT anything that goes in there, keep the water pristine and hope for the best. It's the first time I've owned a tank that can house this many bettas.

#13 ·
I agree I would have preferred each section to be around 15-20cm wide across rather than 10, but I have lots of males, a huge power bill from my heaters, and it had to be 100cm exactly to fit on my other rack alongside my sorority.

I managed to get rid of an extra 9 or 10 heaters by having it capable of housing so many males. I am happy about that, as my mum always grouches in winter about electricity costs.

I'm hoping to have a smaller barracks made that is 15-20cm across in each compartment and only 25cm high, to hold some of my showier males. But that won't be until I get my fish room plumbed up as I am running at full fish capacity.

Luckily my mum did not notice the tank I set-up on my bedside table for some native rainbowfish *whistles* I still have 30 odd tanks even with this set-up and running.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.