Betta Fish Forum banner

I did a betta good deed today!

1K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  Lights106 
#1 ·
I dropped by PetCo today not really looking for anything, and there was a preschool teacher in there talking to the staff about getting a betta for her class. The same staff member who was talking to her had previously told me how little space bettas need, that they don't need a filter or heater, that they live in mud puddles in the wild, etc.

When he left, I talked to her a bit about the different bettas there, and I cautioned her to research them, because they do need a heater and so on. She was very nice, and she was clearly interested in knowing how to take care of the betta better and show her class the right way, etc.

So, PetCo had a 10-gallon set (filter, heater, cover with lights, etc.) on sale for $50. Knowing that teachers don't make much but that she clearly wanted to teach the kids the right way to take care of the betta, I offered to pay for half of that set-up if she would like it. She protested but finally agreed, on the condition that I come into her classroom to talk about the betta and how to give it proper care.

So I've done a good deed in contributing to showing many children, hopefully, the proper care of bettas, so that the kids don't think bettas can live in tiny bowls. Sap that I am, it honestly made me tear up to do it. I'm happy to have done a good deed for the day. :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Aww that is just awesome! Good for you, and thank you for being so generous! I'm sure those kids will be so happy :)

#6 ·
You are awesome! That was a really nice thing to do. I'm going to school for early childhood education and it's sad when I go to classrooms to observe and there is a tiny betta bowl or vase off in some corner.

I want like a 10-15 gallon planted betta (or maybe a community) tank in my future classroom.

#11 ·
What a nice thing!

Just a thought: when you go to speak to the class, if you make and take a betta care fact sheet, some of those may spread throughout the community and end up in homes, etc...which may even trickle down as changes at a local pet shop as customers ask for larger tanks, heaters, healthier fish, etc... You could include a link to this site, too!

When bettas are happy, they are lots of fun rather than dull boring fish just wasting away in the bottom of a cold bowl. When people enjoy their betta more, they talk about it and word spreads around...

Great way to throw a rock into the pond to make some really effective waves! APPLAUSE!

#12 ·
I just educated a gal today getting a fish for a birthday! She was originally looking at bowels, (nothing against them since I have one) and let her know most fish like a bit more space and to keep in mind if it's a tropical fish, the need a heater and what not. She looked confused so that is why I started a convo with her. It felt good. She ended up getting a 2.5 gallon tank. Not sure what fish, but glad I got the guy a slightly bigger tank. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.