Betta Fish Forum banner

In the future...

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  crowntail lover 
#1 ·
In the future I think I would like to try my hand at caring for female bettas, rather than the one male I have now. Would it be easy to acclimate 2 or 3 females in one tank? And how big do you think the tank should be? 5 gallons?

#4 ·
^ agree with others.

What your thinking about is a sorority. You need at least 10 gallons, and should have between 4 and 7, maybe 8, females in the tank. It's preferable to get 4-6 because then you'll be less likely to overstock your tank. Some people say that 4 is too few (most say it's okay though)

You need LOTS of hiding places and a cycled tank. In a 10 gallon you can't put in any tank mates, you'll need at least 20 gallons to add other fish in as well. You'll also need backup tanks for every female, because they WILL get aggressive, and most people have at least 1 female that they have to remove from the tank because she's over aggressive. Sororities are very fun and worth it, but they are also a lot of stress and work. They tend to cost $150+ In just a 10 gallon. In a larger tank it would probably be $300+

So, still want a sorority?

#5 ·
I find that 150$ is an unreasonable price. I set mine up for maybe 80$. In a 10 gallon you could also add cories or a rosy red minnow or two. If you can keep the water clean it is fine. I love sororities. They are fun and interesting.

#7 ·
Sororities are a bit more work than raising males, but definitely worth it imo.

On an unrelated note: I see you're a Hetalia fan! :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.