Betta Fish Forum banner

Planning for the Future

2K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  turtle10 
#1 ·
As some of you may know, I planned on breeding this spring break but because of some space issues that fell through. Well I am so happy that I might have the chance to try again soon (April-May) because we are moving back into our old house! The renovations are being completed early and we should be moved in by the end of April. I decided that I would try to breed once we are all settled. I am going to breed Bellino. I have attached a photo of him, he is a DTHM Marble, about 6-7 months old. I got him in January from Greatbettas on Aquabid.

Anyways, I am going to San Antonio on Thursday and thought it would be a good time to pick up a breeding female from BasementBettas on Aquabid. All the females I have are pet store or they're the raise-your-babies from beat2020's spawn, so that is why I need a new one lol. Considering Bellino's form and color, which one of these females do you recommend I try breeding him with? Also, would it be best to buy two females, just in case?

1- http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1301794803

2- http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1301973616

3- http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/auction.cgi?fwbettashm&1301813397

See less See more
#27 ·
I will be watching them all the way down the stairs. And then I will drive them myself in our suburban. So the movers will really only be handling them for about two minutes. I read on some website that it is a good idea to have a cup of water in the front of the car with you so you can get an idea of how much the water sloshes, so I am going to do that too.

#28 ·
Females have arrived safe and sound! No pics yet, sorry lol. But soon! She ended up giving me two extra marbles, which I am super excited about! They have all been acclimated into the sorority, except for the green metallic female. She is in her own 2.5 so she can get ready to make babies!

My question is, should I wait the full two weeks? She was very "eggy" when she got here, and displayed her breeding stripes almost right away. Bellino is already almost conditioned, as I have been feeding him his normal pellets (tropical and betta formula), plus frozen brine shrimp, blackworms, and white worms for about a week. Do you think it would be okay if I waited just a week? I have whiteworms, blackworms, frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis, and frozen bbs available for conditioning.

Here is a pic of the spawning tank:

It is a food/people/animal-safe container. I bought it at the container store, it was made for dog food storage and said BPA free and FDA approved, so that sounded good to me lol.

There is about 5-7 gallons in it right now, with two tiny ramshorn snails (is this okay?). Temp at 78, with a few sprigs of anacharis and hornwort, some moss, and an anubias attached to a rock. The bubbler won't be there during spawning btw, and I have a sponge filter currently cycling in the sorority.

#29 ·
You can spawn them immediately if you want. Most breeders keep their fish in top condition so she's probably ready to go so as soon as you feel your male is ready you can set them up.

Spawning tank looks fine. They should have plenty of space to get away from each other in there.

#30 ·
OOh exciting! I think I will set them up tomorrow!

On a semi-related note, I went by whole foods and got 20 containers for separating the fry. They are the plastic, clear, food containers that come in different sizes, but I got the 4 quart ones.. They are probably about a quarter gallon? Are these big enough to "jar" them? I also got the lids to punch air holes in so I can raise the water almost to the top.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.